Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 25, 2003, 9:34 PM   #1

Default CP5700 vs. DHi - WYSIWYG and other issues

Hello all.

I have been reading these forums and I know this topic has been beat to death but I still have a few questions I would appreciate "unbiased" (if possible) answers too:

I am a designer and want to get a versitle camera that will allow me to impliment quality photos in my designs. I am in no way a "pro" photographer although I do have a good understanding of photography and know my way around a camera. ( I have been shooting with an FM2 for 7 years.)

I want to use this camera to do the following:

- Shoot close up product shots with a macro setting
- Take panoramic landsacpe shots
- Take action shots of sports such as skateboarding, snowboarding, bullriding etc.
-Take action shots of people in everyday life
-Portrait shots
-I want to be able to build a stock photography website to sell photos
-Shoot textures for "mapping" in 3D programs
-Take photos of buildings and cityscapes

Detail and colour accuracy are very important to me. As well as speed. I want to be able to take a shot as it is presented without a delay.

Here are a few questions of concern:

1. Does either of the two cameras LCD's display the image as WYSIWYG? And if so does it apply when settings or filters are used?

2. Which camera has a better MACRO function?

3. Which camera performs better taking action shots?

4. Is there a noticable difference in the time it takes to manually focus with the DHi's focus ring than with the manual focus buttons of the CP5700?

5. Since I will be taking a variety of photos in a variety of settings and conditions which camera in the end will give me the best image quality?

I cannot decide between the two. I have tried both briefly in the store and am impressed by both. The ONE thing really holding me back from going with the 5700 is the ability to get the 28mm wide angle shot, but i figure i can just get the wide angle adapter or splice panoramics to achieve this effect. And the WYSIWYG features with the DHi. Any opinions?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

If you think there are any issues I should be considering that I have not mentioned above please let me know.

Thanks for you time.

Destro
Destro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2003, 7:59 AM   #2
NHL

You can't go wrong here since they are both excellent cameras! It's mainly depends on your preference, but here's my take on the D7hi:

Quote:
- Shoot close up product shots with a macro setting
The 7Hi has macro @ both the wide(larger DOF) and long(good for lighting, no need to get close) and the camera manual focus still work in macro!

Quote:
- Take panoramic landsacpe shots
-Take photos of buildings and cityscapes
The 7Hi has the 28mm, may be the CP5000 is better for you...

Quote:
- Take action shots of sports such as skateboarding, snowboarding, bullriding etc.
-Take action shots of people in everyday life

...I want to be able to take a shot as it is presented without a delay.
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6022
Plus the 5 raw frames @ 3fps really put the D7Hi into dSLR territory!

Quote:
-Portrait shots
This is where the D7hi really excels with its numerous flash settings and control over studio slaves. Its PC sync terminal, as well as the multiple heads wireless mode also help. The D7hi's EVF can also be overiden to work in dark studio environments! Heck it even works as a B/W night vision goggle system in total darkness...

Quote:
Does either of the two cameras LCD's display the image as WYSIWYG? And if so does it apply when settings or filters are used?
Not only it does, but the D7's real-time histogram reflects this as well. With a polarizer the peaks can be squashed and the base of the histogram be shifted/expanded by rotating the CP filter!

The image in the D7hi is WYSIWYG in manual, even at night... next time at the store try to put the camera in manual and adjust the picture brightness with the shutter speed and aperture dial (it works just like a mechanical SLR). It's really WYSIWYG and no exposure meter is needed when you use the camera in full manual. In fact try to play with the program dial in the auto mode and you can see the 'cool'/ 'warm' colors as well as the contrast varies as you change between the 'lanscape', 'flash-fill', and 'text' modes!

IMO the manual zoom and focusing ring is much faster and more convenient to use. However the D7Hi is no point & shoot with its wealth of adjustments and you may be overwhelmed @ first. Your initial pictures may not be the best until you have mastered all its flexible controls!

Quote:
If you think there are any issues I should be considering that I have not mentioned above please let me know.
You'll find that the AA NiMh rechargeable batteries of the D7hi are much more convenient than the EN-EL1, not the least cheaper and more powerful (2100mAh now), especially when used with a microdrive. You can use NiMh with the CP5700 as well, but @ an additional cost... However the extra shutter on the MB-E5700's grip is surely nice!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote