Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 27, 2003, 10:17 PM   #1

Default 12 bit color is the best?

Do any of the digital cameras produce better than 12 bit color?

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2003, 9:12 AM   #2

This is something I've also wondered. I'd be interested in the answer as well.

To me, this is a much more interested direction to take digital cameras than more and more Megapixes. A camera which could better sample/represent color and record a larger dynamic range (more bits & a good spread of the values.) Make it have less noise at higher ISO's too and it would make many people very happy.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:16 PM   #3
kyb

Hmmm, EXIF says that my pictures have a colordepth of 24 bit (CP 4500), but maybe I am missing something. I'm no expert on such things. 12 bits would only be 4096 colours, which is very low.

Greetings, kyb
kyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 2:08 PM   #4

I've never touched a 4500, but I thought that no CCD in a consumer or (reasonably priced) pro digital camera recorded over 12-bits of color. I can't comment on the digital backs for medium format or the $10,000+ cameras.

The techincal specs on Nikonusa.com didn't say what the bit depth was. And I didn't see it is Steve's review.

I was lead to believe from Bibble's web page that one of the advantages of its software over the PS plugin for loading Nikon raw images is that it did a better job upsampling from 12-bit to 16. Maybe Nikon improved this? Maybe they just upsampled to 24-bit?

A quick google search shows that the D1X is 12-bit, as is the D1 and D100. But the 4500 is newer.... But I'd still be shocked if it did more than 12-bit.

Anyone know the answer?
Old Jan 28, 2003, 3:13 PM   #5

Default comment

Thanks guys.

Your answer is as I suspected. I agree they need to provide a greater depth of color at least to 24 bit, however that would makes files twice as large yet well worth it.

What it says is you have to go to film and scan it to get more accurate color. Does that make sense?

Jim :roll:
Old Jan 28, 2003, 4:26 PM   #6
NHL

Quote:
Hmmm, EXIF says that my pictures have a colordepth of 24 bit (CP 4500), but maybe I am missing something. I'm no expert on such things. 12 bits would only be 4096 colours, which is very low.
I'm on a limp here, but is that 24-bit = 3 colors @ 8-bit?

A 12-bit CCD should have read 36-bit... :?

12-bits would only be 4096 shades of 1 colour! what about the other two in RGB? (complementary CYGM in Nikon's) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
I agree they need to provide a greater depth of color at least to 24 bit, however that would makes files twice as large yet well worth it.
Not necessarily in JPEG, only in raw (NEF) where every pixels is accounted for! ie the file size is constant in raw and characteristic of the CCD +/- the few camera parameters...

Quote:
A camera which could better sample/represent color and record a larger dynamic range (more bits & a good spread of the values.)
Is this what AdobeRGB does? It takes the camera readings (like on the D7hi) and map them out to a wider gamut (not necessary more color) and extend the dynamic range, ie more spread between bit (which is BTW not useful for PC since they are limited by the sRGB standard), but useful for other applications?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 11:51 PM   #7

I just did another google search, and found this comment in a description of CP4500 camera for sale:
bit depth: 24-bit images reduced from 30-bit source

That would be great, if true. Makes me wonder what Nikon will put in the D2....

All I can say is that after about a half hour of hunting around the nikonusa web site, the manuals are no where to be found. What a sad web page design that I couldn't find copies of the manuals.

Eric
Old Jan 29, 2003, 12:16 AM   #8
NHL

Eric s

http://www.nikon-euro.com/nikoneuro2...manuals100.htm
Old Jan 29, 2003, 12:21 AM   #9

Default comment

I am surprised that the 4500 has 24 bit color. Great for people
who have Nikon 4500 Cameras. No Adobe cant just assign colors
to upgrade you to 24 bit. It wouldnt know which colors were there in the first place.

In the Nikon5700 you get 12 bit only in raw made everything else is 8 bit color. What a bummer!

Jim
Old Jan 29, 2003, 12:37 AM   #10
NHL

Jim

Quote:
No Adobe cant just assign colors
The camera does this assignment (other Nikon dSLRs do this mapping as well) by reassigning the camera's 12-bit CCD to a wider color gamut in AdobeRGB format (and not the regular PC only sRGB colorspace) that is then accepted by Photoshop...

Quote:
In the Nikon5700 you get 12 bit only in raw made everything else is 8 bit color. What a bummer!
12-bit is used all the way regardless of jpeg or raw, I was only refering to file size!

FYI everyone a $6k Kodak 14Mpixels is only 12-bit (or a $$$ medium back):
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe....5.8.3.8&lc=en
http://acme.mega-vision.com/products...technical.html
Quote:
# Bit depth: 36-bit color (12 bits per color) original capture
Stop dreaming people ops: 12-bit/color is the best that can be achieved with today's CCDs/CMOS!

If the 4500 were to compute 24-bit/color, it'll need a Pentium 4 with a car battery as power source, and 'll take around 5 minutes/picture! :lol: :lol: :lol: