Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 28, 2003, 2:14 PM   #1

Default Low Light Focus?

The reviews by Steve and Dpreview say that the Fuji 602Z and the Nikon 5700 both have problems focusing in "low light" because they lack an AF assist lamp.

First Question: What constitutes "low light" for the purposes of this evaluation?

2nd Question: Do you have specific examples where you have run into this problem and how have you addressed it?

Thanks,
Dano
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2003, 4:43 PM   #2

Dano:

I own the Nikon 5700. "Low light" for me seems to be indoor situations at night when there is maybe only one lamp or one light source. If the room is well lit, I don't have a problem. I do have problems when zooming in to about 4X-8X for sharp focusing even in a well lit room at night. I heard attaching a laser pointer (the ones with a wide pattern, that kids use) on top of the camera and letting the camera focus on it helps but I have yet to try that. I may go to Toys R Us and buy one this week to try. In those low light situations the AF is almost of no help. You almost need to use the manual focus for a sharp focus and open the F stop to the highest opening, using manual mode.
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 4:44 PM   #3

Dano:

I own the Nikon 5700. "Low light" for me seems to be indoor situations at night when there is maybe only one lamp or one light source. If the room is well lit, I don't have a problem. I do have problems when zooming in to about 4X-8X for sharp focusing even in a well lit room at night. I heard attaching a laser pointer (the ones with a wide pattern, that kids use) on top of the camera and letting the camera focus on it helps but I have yet to try that. I may go to Toys R Us and buy one this week to try. In those low light situations the AF is almost of no help. You almost need to use the manual focus for a sharp focus and open the F stop to the highest opening, using manual mode.
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 10:49 PM   #4

I shoot alot at ISO 400. The images can be noisy, but there is reasonably priced software ( NeatImage ) to clean that up.

The link is one of my low light pics. It was late afternoon and the sun was going down fast.

http://www.pbase.com/image/8150000.jpg

I have seen others do some nice night photos where the buildings were light and they looked good too.

I am happy with my Nikon 5700.

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote