Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 16, 2005, 5:44 AM   #1

Hi!

I'm new to these forums and I'd like to start with bringing up some discussion about the upcoming S4

I placed my order for one two days ago and can't wait to get my hands on it.

I've never had a camera with more than a 3x opt. zoom and was originally going to buy the Panasonic LZ1 or Minolta Z3 but when I saw this cool thing I just had to get it.

Now I have a few concerns about it that I hope some of you guys might shed some light on.

1. Having a 38-380 10x zoom is nice and all but will I ever be able to take clear shots with the lens all zoomed out without a tripod? Or will I end up with loads of blurry pics?

2. Anyone know if the chassis is made of plastic or metal?

3. Release date?? Late September just don't do it for me.

4. Anyone else looking forward to getting this cam?

5. Will it be reviewd here at S-D?
infernocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2005, 9:44 PM   #2

I was seriously considering this camera. However, the lack of any manual controls and no image stabilizationput me off. I ended getting Kodak's new P850 w/12x optical zoom and full manual controls.

Good luck if you end up getting the S4, and let us know how it is!

Ron
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:11 AM   #3

Sure the manual controls might be a factor for some people, I really don't care since i just want a point and shoot cam with a good zoom and from my experience the nikkor lenses produce good pix so this one seems to be perfect for me.
One thing that bothers me is the 15fps limit on movie files, since its able to produce 640x480 movies at 15fps I think it would be logical if the 320xwhatever would be at 24 or 30fps.
Not that I'we used the video functions that much before but sometimes its nice to have some small clips to put on your webpage.
Btw. cameras I'we owned in the past:
1st. Some cheap HP piece of crap with 2Mpix got my money back when i sent it to HP for eating up a pair of 2300mAh NiMh:s in about 20 shots.
2nd. Kodak Easyshare DX4330 3Mpix, nice camera but quite big and totally useless in dark conditions.
3rd. Nikon Coolpix 4600, fantastic point and shoot camera, really cheap and fits in your pocket. Actually so cheap that I had it with me all the time, did'nt really matter if it broke.
As it did My gilfriend dropped it at a party and the lens barrel did'nt like the stone floor too much.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:00 AM   #4

I found some more pictures on the camera check here:
http://detail.zol.com.cn/69/68718/pic.shtml
Old Oct 4, 2005, 4:19 AM   #5
TNN

According to this user (in Japanese):
http://minami.typepad.com/blogcabin/...coolpix_s.html
the Nikon Coolpix S4 cannot zoom optically while shooting a movie:
it can only do a 2x digital zoom.

Does anyone know where one can see a movie sample?
TNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:49 AM   #6

It's early October and I haven't seen one yet in the store. Some of the Internet order houses claim to have them in stock, but the more reputable ones do not claim to have them in stock.

Blurry pictures will result from a 10x zoom unless you have a very steady hand. I don't, but I'll make quick use of a wall or a lamp post.

Historically Nikon is good about putting camera's in sturdy housings whether it's metal or plastic. I've owned a Coolpix 900 and a 990. Both camera's were sturdy, but the swivel body is not as strong as a single piece camera. While hanging from my neck, my Coolpix 900 hit a handrial and it cracked the LCD display (not the monitor) and camera, while operating properly, was useless becasue I couldn't read the display.

I would like to feel the size of the camera also.

Ihope it's reviewed soon on this sight. This sight does an excellent job of reviewing cameras.
PegBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 3:28 PM   #7

Infernocs,

Despite all the latest camera innovations, I continue to use my CP 4500 swivel camera for one reason: I can take photosof people withoutthemknowing I'm taking their photo. Most people don't like people (especially strangers) taking their photo and you instantly lose the "normalcy" of their expressions, but with a true swivel camera you can shoot from the hip and they don't even know what hit them.....in a good sort of way of course.

I hope Nikon follows up with a new version of the 4500 (i.e. manual controls) with a 3 or 4X lens as it'll be perfect for digiscoping too!

Steve Walter

Asmera, Eritrea (appealing for divine intervention to prevent another senseless war)
Steve Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:37 AM   #8

Nice point there, I never taught about it but this feature will be perfect for me since my girlfriend is really camera shy :G
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:50 AM   #9

I got the camera last weeks thursday, I just love it:?