Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:54 PM   #11
Administrator

One more stab at something, too....

Wracking my brain on what would cause 995 cameras from two different owners to exhibit the same symptoms at the same time (probably just fluke), leads me to wonder if something in the cameras that have a finite lifetime may be impacting them.

For example, the camera is probably going to have either a built in capacitor or small (watch type) battery cell for keeping camera settings while recharging or changing your main battery.

Perhaps it's failed in such a way as to cause this problem. Again, it's a long shot, and may not have a darn thing to do with it.

It's not uncommon to see these cells or capacitors fail in older cameras. But, that normally means that the only thing you give up is your settings (each time you change the main battery in the camera, you need to set everything again (date, time, sometimes custom settings, etc.).

But, leaving the battery out of one for 24 hours (or sometimes more), is often a way to force a complete reset on one, too (the idea being to wait until the capacitor or cell discharges so that you force it to lose anything set in memory that may be impacting camera operation).

Did you try that yet? If so, I'd try the opposite, too. Leave a good battery in the camera overnight and see what it does.

Again, keep an eye on the other thread with a 995 owner that seems to have the same problem (interestingly he has two other 995's that are working fine).

I sent a PM to KCan (an Electronics Engineer, a Nikon Coolpix Owner, and one of our more knowledgable forum members), asking him if he knew anything else we could try to help the other 995 owner (the idea being to figure out how to open the camera and check for a loose or bad connection, since I know he found a service manual for the older Coolpix 950).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 9:03 PM   #12

Hi Jim and Bruce, in the past , I did not find any CP995 service manual, but did found for 950 and 990. The 990 should be close to the 995 I hope.

The 990repair manual:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gyphtid1/coolpix990.pdf

The exploded view should be useful , and don't forget how you dismantle it (in what order) , to remember how to put it back :G

A video cam should be useful :?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:18 PM   #13

Just an idea ...

1)Starting with a fresh batteries, date is ok?

3) set date if neccessary

2) After then turning off normaly, then on again (without removing battery), is the date still ok?

I just suspecting the internal backup battery (for date and other firmware settings)went shorted, which can pull down the voltage so much that the firmware can't run correctly.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:28 PM   #14
Administrator

I was wondering if something along those lines might be happening, too (see my last post in this thread).

It's very odd that two people that own this model are reporting a problem with symptoms I can't recall seeing with a 995 before (since we've already ruled out the main battery and compactflash cards as being the culprit).

So, that the internal battery may have failed in an odd mannerdoes seem like something that couldbe happening (since they may begin to fail at about the same time in product's lifecycle)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 4:25 PM   #15

Hi all,

Had a similar problem with a 995 coming up with "this card cannot be used" error.

Read all the previous posts but don't recommend the heat/cold one!!

No bentor broken pins but after taking camera to pieces ( I'm a repairer) found the connections on the other side of the CF pins broken off the board (camera had been dropped) if you have a steady hand and a very small soldering iron it is possible to resolder these connections (just tin the bit and gently press connections back- do not put any extra solder onto iron or you will short out 2 or more pins at once!!)

Camera now works fine.

WhilstI I don't recommend all and sundry taking their camera to pieces it is no big deal if you have the aptitudeand are careful and note where all the screws and plugs go - be wary of a charged flash capacitor which can give you a nastyjolt (although it is in the lens section) and be careful with the ribbon cables front and back - these cameras are so easy to work on (which is whyI like them) I certainly would not attempt repairs on newer more compact models, they are a nightmare.
digimaan is offline   Reply With Quote