Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:36 PM   #1

My battery died and I had to replace it. The camera set dormant for a while. Now, when I place my memory card in the slot and turn the camera on, it says, "No Card Present." If I try taking the card out while the camera is still turned on the message becomes "Out of Memory." Can anyone help? I am completely perplexed. I tried two different cards and got the same message so I am doubting it's the cards. Help? Please?
Bruce_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:04 PM   #2
Administrator

Look in the card slot and make sure you did not bend or break off one of the pins (and I would not recommend removing or inserting a card with the camera powered on, but this is probably not what is causing the error you got).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:09 AM   #3

Jim:

Thanks a lot. Unfortunately, none of the pins are broken or bent. I am still lost as to what I should do. Does anyone else have an idea?
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:14 AM   #4
Administrator

What camera do you have Bruce?

Use all dials, switches and buttons to make sure a bit of oxidation didn't form under acontact somewhere.

Also, you should have a RESET menu choice somewhere that resets the camera back to factory defaults. I'd do that, too.

Make sure your battery is good and fully charged (wipe off the contacts, too -- just to make sure some oxidatinon isn't impacting power levels). If you have a spare, try it.

If all else fails, try leaving your batteries out for at least 24 hours (sometimes that will reset a camera).

Have the memory cards been used in a different device? Have they been formatted using anything other than the camera menus?

Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:08 PM   #5

My camera is a Nikon Cookpix 995. I have tried all the dials. I have also tried to find a factory reset but am limited to what menu's I can get to. I am only able to reach the set up menu. I will try the other suggestions you have. The battery is new and fully charged. I will try leaving it out for 24 hours. I don't think the cards have been used anywhere else. My daughter could have tried them in her Sony camera but not sure. Thanks for the help.

Bruce
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:35 PM   #6
Administrator

Bruce_Scott wrote:
Quote:
My camera is a Nikon Cookpix 995. I have tried all the dials. I have also tried to find a factory reset but am limited to what menu's I can get to. I am only able to reach the set up menu.

Hmmmm....

Well, I looked at the menus in our review here, and it looks like Nikon decided to put the RESET ALL menu choice on the second page of the shooting menu.

But, if you can get the camera to go into Record Mode without it recognizing a card, then that doesn't help much, huh? :-)

Are you sure you can't get it to go into any of the record modes (at least where it can get to one of the shooting menus, even if it doesn't see a card)?

What happens when you push the menu button in any of the shooting modes (Programmed Auto, Manual, Shutter Priority, etc.)?

Even if you can, I'm not sure that would help.

I've owned the Coolpix 950 and 990, and I know the 950 doesn't reset everything using that menu choice (even with the latest firmware). For example, even resolution is not reset (if it's set to VGA, it'll still be set to VGA, even after it tells you reset complete). I still have the 950 (in fact, I used it over the weekend).

But, I don't remember if the 990 worked in a similar way (didn't really reset everything). It's been too long since I've used one (I sold mine, but I still have a 950). I wish I'd have kept the 990, too. LOL You'll have to try it and see on a 995 (if you can get to the menus again).

Let me do some digging around, and see if there is another way to fully reset one that someone may know about.

But, it could also be an electronic failure of some time in the camera (you mentioned a dead battery).

That shouldn't have caused it, but if some kind of odd "fluke" happened (maybe a brief voltage spike from a faulty battery before going quickly dead), then something electroniccould have been damaged.

You could also have some kind oif impact damage (maybe not all at once, but from bouncing around for years from time to time, and changing temperature, etc.). I know someone with a 995 that had a circuit board that was cracked (he had dropped the camera before it started though).

It could also be something as simple as a loose ribbon cable going to the pins in the camera's CompactFlash compartment, that's not making a good connection anymore because a bit of oxidation has built up.

I'd try a different CompactFlash card in it, just in case they somehow got damaged (you mentioned a daughter). :-)

They're cheap anymore. Heck, I can remember Slipe (one of our forum members here), posting about a 256mb CompactFlash card for $10.00 with a $10.00 rebate at one of the big office supply chains. We were both recommending a Coolpix 990 for someone wanting a camera (he wanted new, and we suggested that one instead).

I'll find the thread and add it to this post.

Old Sep 27, 2005, 2:07 PM   #7
Administrator

I found the thread where we were recommending a used Coolpix 990 to someone wanting a camera dedicated to taking closeups for Ebay items:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=87&page=2

But, it looks like the sale Slipe mentioned was over Saturday (Office Max was running the sale on 256mb CompactFlash Cards for $10 with a $10 rebate).

They're cheap, though (even if not totally free after the $10 rebate like the Office Max deal). ;-). Heck, I bought 3 cards at a yard sale (including a 128mb and 256mb) for $5 not too long ago. LOL

Can you not get to the Format menu choice under setup to try and format them with the camera? If so, try it regardless of what error you're seeing (no card).

Lets suppose your daughterformatted the cards using a different File System Type (hypothetical).

Windows uses a 32 bit FAT by default, unless you specify a File System Type of FAT (which is really a 12 or 16 Bit FAT, depending on the media size). Your camera won't work with a 32 bit FAT.

You mentioned a Sony (but I don't know what operating system it uses). If it's proprietary to a device, it may have done something evenmore likely to have caused the camera not to recognize it).

The error you're getting sounds pretty odd for that. But, you never know. Some strange combination of the wrong file system type + full cards may be messing up something.

Also, do you have a card reader? See if the cards work with it. If they do, format them both with Windows, making sure to specify FAT as the file system type. Do not use the defaults.

Then, trythem in the camera.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:34 PM   #8

Jim:

I guess it's time to take my camera in. I purchased a new card and placed it in the camera. It said initially, This Card Does Not Work and then said the same thing again, NO CARD PRESENT. If you have any other ideas let me know otherwise I am going to send it in for repair.

Bruce
Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:37 PM   #9
Administrator

Bruce, looks like it's a bad time of year for Coolpix 995 problems related to recognizing media.

Keep an eye on this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=21

Jim C.

Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:40 PM   #10
Administrator

I'll tell you what.... just for the heck of it, change the date on your camera to something in 2004.

Yea, I know that's a long shot. I just don't see too many of these problems, and to have two of them going on at the same time with the Coolpix 995. Well..... the programmer in me says "you never know"....