Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:05 PM   #11

It doesn't look like the camera will come apart easily, so that'll be the last thing I try. Maybe if I learn how on this camera, it'll help when the other two stop working.:lol:
JWHyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:10 PM   #12
Administrator

KCan (an Electronics Engineeer, a Nikon Coolpix owner, and one of our more knowledgeable forum members), found a Coolpix 950 service manual on the internet somewhere (he didn't know where to find one for the 995). But, the 950 may be similar in how you take it apart.

He mentioned the service manual in this recent thread concerning a 995 problem

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=21

I'll send him a PM and see if he has any suggestions (other than sending back to Nikon and eating the repair bill, trying to find someone skilled at repairing cameras, orbuying a used995 as a replacement). :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:29 PM   #13
Administrator

Just to make sure we didn't miss something real simple (I don't know if you tried everthing in the other thread I suggested you read in my first post), you did try reformatting the CompactFlash cards, right (even though they are working in the other two 995's)?

If not, do it (using another 995 via it's setup menu); orcard reader anda PC, making sure to select FAT as the file system type since Windows defaults to a 32 Bit FAT which may not be compatible with your camera.

Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:33 PM   #14

I reformatted a card on another camera and unfortunately it didn't work either.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:21 PM   #15
Administrator

I'd wait and see if KCan may have any suggestions. Even if you can figure out a way of taking it apart, there's no guarantee that it's something like a loose connection. It could be a small crack in the etching on a circuit board, a failed component, etc.

Again, if you get to a point that you feel you've got nothing to lose (and that's your call), you may want to try it anyway (you may get lucky and thatit's a simple loose/bad connection, which can be a common problem with electronic devices).

Old Sep 29, 2005, 9:07 PM   #16

Hi JimC and Jim, as I said in the other thread, in the past , I did not find any CP995 service manual, but did found for 950 and 990. The 990 should be close to the 995 I hope.

The 990repair manual:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gyphtid1/coolpix990.pdf

The exploded view should be useful , and don't forget how you dismantle it (in what order) , to remember how to put it back :G

A video cam should be useful :?

PS: it's just like you dismantle a car engine, put bolts and screws (and washers) on a board with some notes, not to end up with extra washers at the end :G
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:19 PM   #17

Just an idea ...

1)Starting with a fresh batteries, date is ok?

3) set date if neccessary

2) After then turning off normaly, then on again (without removing battery), is the date still ok?

I just suspecting the internal backup battery (for date and other firmware settings)went shorted, which can pull down the voltage so much that the firmware can't run correctly.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 8:20 AM   #18

KCan:

Thanks so much for the manual. I'll have someone more electrically inclined take a look and see if we want to take the camera apart.

I set the date, turned the camera off and turned it back on as you suggested. The date stayed where I set it, so I don't think it's the internal battery. I also exposed the camera to elevated temperatures in my car for about two hours (as JimC suggested), but that didn't work either.

One other use for this camera might be for live video capture. Basically use it as a pass through to a computer monitor and use a frame grabber to capture the image. Someone here tried it and said you still needed a CF card to do this. Is there a way around that?

Jim

Old Sep 30, 2005, 8:50 AM   #19
Administrator

Jim:

Have you got an AC Adapter you could try with it?

Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:39 AM   #20

JimC:

I tried the camera with an AC adapter and that didn't help, either.

But please keep the ideas coming - I'm not ready to give up yet!:?

Jim