Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:46 AM   #21
Administrator

Well, this has got me frustrated. :-)

Did you leave the battery out for 24 hours to see if "losing" everything in memory may help anything?

Have you left a known good battery in it overnight to see if that could help anything?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 2:40 PM   #22

I'm pretty sure I've done both things you suggested - leaving the battery in and taking it out. I won't be back at work until Monday. I'll give it another shot then.

Thanks again,

Jim
JWHyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:27 AM   #23

JimC:

The battery was out over the weekend - I put in a fresh one but no luck. I'll leave the battery in overnight and see what happens in the morning. It's starting to look bleak.

Jim
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:48 AM   #24
Administrator

Good Luck....

Hmmm.... two cameras with the same problem at the same time (and one that you don't normally see come up on the forums with this model).

It must havebeen a solar flare with an Electro-magnetic Pulse damaging a component. :idea:

Please keep us updated on it, so we know what the problem/resolution may be if it occurs again. Hopefully, something you try will work.

Thanks!

Old Oct 4, 2005, 7:59 AM   #25

JimC:

The battery was left in overnight. When I tried it this morning, no change. Have we reached the end of the road?:?

Jim
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:42 AM   #26
Administrator

Well, knowing that Nikon typically charges close to $200 to fix a camera out of warranty based on reports I've seen, regardless of the problem, if it were my camera, I'd take it apart and reseat anything that could be reseated (components, ribbon cables, circuit boards, etc.)to rule out any simple problem that may not be a failed component.

You'll need to decide if that's a risk you're willing to take.

Ebay is probably your best friend (buy another one if you like it), or just send yours back to Nikon and let them fix it (or replace it with another camera). I don't know if they're still fixing this model or not (some manufacturers try to get you to accept a reconditioned model that they are still servicing, as a replacement for the same price as the repair would normally cost).

There are probably pros and cons to either solution (Ebay versus reparing yours). Nikon would probably stand by their repair if it broke again within a certain timeframe. But, on the other hand, you'd have a "parts" cameras if you bought another one (for things like battery/CF compartment covers, mode dial switch, LCD, etc., which are the types of failures you often see.

I know someone that got their 995 fixed a year or so ago by Nikon for a cracked circuit board after they dropped it (the camera's CCD wasn't sending a signal because of it, but everything elselike menus, playback, etc. worked OK. He reported that they were still able to fix his (at that time).
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:53 AM   #27
Administrator

If it were mine, I'd take it apart (if for no other reason to try and find the problem, so that I could let others know what it was if they had it, too). But, I have always been somewhat of a "tinkerer", and it's not uncommon to see lots of stuff in pieces in my office, with tiny screws and components everywhere). Even growing up as kid, my parents would often complain that I had would have too many of their kitchen pans (since I'd often use things like muffin tins to keep parts separated). :-)

Old Oct 6, 2005, 2:31 AM   #28

JimC wrote:
Quote:
If it were mine, I'd take it apart
I would go for this too, but a last double check: Jim, are you sure no pin is missing? , it can happend that one pin is pushed a litle bit far under the socket, so it won't be as apparent as a bended pin, this can make the camera behave that way too (no card message , and card unusable message)

Then , the logical way would be starting open the CF card side of the body first.
Good luck!
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:49 PM   #29

JimC wrote:
Quote:
If it were mine, I'd take it apart (if for no other reason to try and find the proble
If you do decide to try fixing the camera yourself these few tips might helpful:
1)Place a towel on the work surface; it will stop any small screws bouncing around and getting lost.
2)If you have a 2nd camera or can borrow one, take pictures (close-up) at various stages of disassembly, might help when reassembling the camera.
3) Have a number of small containers handy to hold screws and any bits.
4)Do use good quality watchmaker's screwdrivers and use the right size bits for any Phillips Head screws.
I have fixed two Nikons; my Coolpix 995 had the dreaded System Error and locked up – opening the lens section and cleaning with compressed dry air fixed it fine. I guessed that some dirt or particle had jammed the gears, camera has worked fine now for 2 years since fixing. Also fixed a Coolpix 990 with a faulty power switch, by removing the cover and cleaned switch with Radio Shack contact cleaner – camera still works fine after a year.
Good luck in fixing yours
deexley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 4:52 PM   #30

Check it out Dudes....

I have two Nikon Coolpix 995's and one of them has had the problem you are discussing twice. The problem is with the interface circuit board that reads your flash card. Sorry dudes if you aren't an expert with digital camera repair don't try to fix it.
Like I said I have had the same problem repaired twice. I guess its just a weak point with the camera.

Give the following place a ring. They are much better than trying to send it to the manufacture. Usually it takes about 3 days for them to get me the camera back.
Sorry I don't have their phone number but you should be able to find them on the net.
I think they charge me like $120 for the repair.

Authorized Camera Service
12918 Riverside Drive
Sherman Oaks, Ca 91423

Big Time Camera Guy is offline   Reply With Quote