Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:14 PM   #11
Administrator

Aaah...

That's different. If the pictures have been modified in any way (downsized, etc.) by any editor or process, the camera probably won't be able to display them.

But, you should still be able to copy them to the card in the camera.

Can you still see the photos on the card when you plug the camera back in again and look at that folder (provided you don't format the card with the camera after you copy them)?

If not, you can buy a card reader for around $20 at most office supply or electronics stores that you can use as a removable drive (as long as your operating system supports it). But, you should be able to use your camera as a removable drive, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:34 PM   #12

"Can you still see the photos on the card when you plug the camera back in again and look at that folder (provided you don't format the card with the camera after you copy them)?"Yeah I can. As i said, all works ok now but just one thing. On the camera screen a few pictures say "file contains no image data" so I can't see the photo. When i go to print them will they still print or is the file somehow corrupt?
David147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:43 PM   #13
Administrator

They should work fine if you can see them on your PC when you click on the ones you copied to the card.

I wouldn't try to use the camera for anything after you copy them to it and print them somewhere, before reformatting the card again (using the camera menus for formatting it instead of your PC).

If you're using one of the Kiosks, you'll be able to put your memory card in it and select the photos and sizes you want (so you'll be able to see them on the screen there and tell if they're OK or not, too).

The problem is thatmost digitalcameraswon't recognize images that have been modified in any way. That's why you'll get errors from the camera trying to view them.

It's expecting them exactly the way they were taken (same size, EXIF header in the images, etc.). But, all you're trying to do is use the camera as a card reader, so you can copy stuff to thememory card (and it should work fine for that purpose).

Old Oct 21, 2005, 6:38 AM   #14

So basically, all my pictures will print out fine even though the camera doesn't recognise them all?
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:43 AM   #15
Administrator

David147 wrote:
Quote:
So basically, all my pictures will print out fine even though the camera doesn't recognise them all?
Whether or not the camera can display the images should not make any difference inwhether or not you can print them from a vendor that can read them directly from the card (you remove the card from the camera and insert it into a reader they have).

As long as you are able to read and display the images stored on the card with your computer (click on an image in the folder associated with the card in the camera and see if you can display it OK). Just don't try using the camera for anything until after you've had the images printed from the card in it.

As for whether or not they will print out "fine", depends on what you did to them, and what you mean by fine. They should be just as good as they are on your PC now when you copy them back to the card in the camera. The copy process is not modifying them again.

The reason the camera is not able to display some of them is because they've been modified in some way (resized, rotated, resolution changed, etc.).

If youmodified them in a way as to lower their resolution, or destroy any detail in the images, then they may not print as well.

Basically, all you're doing by copying the images to the camera is using the cameras as a card reader. Many users do this. I personally prefer using a separate card reader, but it shouldn't make any differenceeither way, as long as your camera shows up as a removable drive.

The camera is expecting only images that were takin by it. Camera specific information is in a header in images known as the EXIF. It contains details about camera settings used. This information is displayable by most cameras. It's also expecting images to be a given resolution for playback purposes on the camera, and oriented a specific way (if you rotate an image the camera probably won't like it either).

So, if you modify an image, some of this information may no longer be present. Some users even deliberately strip out the EXIF from images. But, printing software won't care about it, as long as it's a valid JPEG image (and it's very doubtful anything you did to the images would change that, unless you storedthem as a different image file type). Even then, the Kiosks may be able to read more than one type of image file.

Old Oct 21, 2005, 9:45 AM   #16
DBB

Let me add to what Jim is saying.

I use my camera memory card as a drive. In other words, forget about this being a "camera" card, I often just use this card as a way to exvchange information easily with friends. Once I do this, the VERY simple computer in the camera can no longer recognise the information on the card.

All the arrangements are changed. The camera says to itself, "Duh, I don't see no pictures."

So I have to reformat the card, in the camera, to once again be able to use it as a Camera card.

As Jim says, go and get one of these cheap card readers. It makes it much simpler to use the card as a very cheap portable drive - When you decide to use it once again with the camera - merely let the camera reformat the card.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:44 AM   #17

Thanks for your help. As far as I know all I had done to those pictures was remove the red eye so everything should be alright.*
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:52 AM   #18
Administrator

Basically, you were trying to make this harder than it is. ;-)

Don't think of it as a camera for the purpose of storing the images long enough to get them printed somewhere. You're only trying to use it as a card reader (allowing your computer to read and write to the memory card in it).

Think of it as a removable drive (just like any other drive on your computer) that you can copy images to (or anything else for that matter, like documents, etc.).

After you get the images printed, just make sure to reformat the card using the camera menu choice for this purpose (not your computer). That will format it in a way the camera expects it to be for reuse again.

If this is something you'll be doing on a regular basis, buy a card reader (they're very inexpensive). Then, you don't have to worry about things like running the battery down in your camera and using it for a purpose that it was not intended for.

P.S.

The printiing software used by vendors isn't going to care if the photos have been modified in some way.

Their software is designed to work with standard image file types, regardless of what camera created them (or for that matter, it won't care if a camera created the images at all -- as they could be scanned images, or images created in a paint program you may want to have printed).

The camera does care (but it doesn't make any difference for your purposes, since you're not using it as a camera). You're just using it as a card reader to transfer the images to a memory card that the printers can read theimages from.

Old Oct 21, 2005, 5:57 PM   #19

Sorry for the confusion, erm, what do I press to reformat the card when the pics are printed?.oow ErttErm, what would I press to reformat the card?Er E;;;
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:56 PM   #20
Administrator

You'll see a menu choice for Formatting the SD Cardshown on page 4 (Playback Screens) of your camera's review here(under Setup).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...n4600_pg4.html