Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:09 AM   #1

I don't know how but some photos I took have be deleted from my coolpix 4600 Nikon camera. I have them saved on my computer but is there a way a get still get them printed out as normal photographs because I only have a regular printer.I know it's a very basic question but please help!David
David147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:52 AM   #2
Administrator

David:

Your camera should show up as a removable drive when connected to your PC via a USB Port. Look under "My Computer" with it connected and you should see it. Or, if you have a card reader (about $20 at most office supply or electronics stores), you can do the same thing with it (it will show up as a removable drive under Windows).

Then, you can simply copy the files from the folder on your hard disk to the card in the camera (just like you copy files between any other folders on your PC).

If you're taking the images to somewhere locally, their readers are probably designed to search the entire card (all folders)for images, so it probably doesn't make any difference what folder you put them in. However, the camera probably wants them in the same folder they were in to begin with in order to display them on it.

I'd suggest making sure you format the card again using the camera's menu for this purpose (not your PC), prior to using it again after you copy anything to it from your PC.

This is aprecaution in casesomething on thecard getscorruptedduring the copy process (usually not, but I always format my cards with the camera menus prior to every use anyway, just to insure I'll always start out with a fresh File Allocation Table, and it's usually just as fast as deleting the images anyway).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 7:50 PM   #3

Sorry but I'm still very confused. I have a mac so it's all¬* a bit different.¬* Is (¬*http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/5624/nikon1rg.jpg ) this where I'm meant to put pictures back in because that won't work!¬*¬*This is getting really frustrating[img]/forums/images/emoticons/icon_sad.gif[/img]¬*
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:20 PM   #4
Administrator

David:

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with your operating system. I haven't used a Mac since they were first introduced (and a lot has changed since then). ;-)

But, I wouldn't worry too much.

Most computers work in a similar fashion. When your camera is connected, it should show up as a removal drive.

If not, you can probably find a card readerthat is recognized. Then, you'll be able to copy the images back to the card.

Do you have a CD drive that you can write to? If so, many vendors that print images can read that also.

If all else fails, do you know anyone that is familar with a Mac close by? I'm afraid that I'm not (although, perhaps some of our other members may be able to help out).

Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:17 PM   #5
DBB

David147 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry but I'm still very confused. I have a mac so it's all a bit different. Is ( http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/5624/nikon1rg.jpg ) this where I'm meant to put pictures back in because that won't work! This is getting really frustrating[img]/forums/images/emoticons/icon_sad.gif[/img]
Hi David

I have a Mac, but unlike Jim I am confused about what you want to do...:?:

Your computer will regard either your camera, if it's plugged into the computer AND the computer has the appropriate software, as a drive.

If you have a card reader, the card will again show up as a drive.

What else do you wish to know?

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:44 PM   #6
Administrator

I just now noticed that you are showingan empty folder on a 128mbdrive with a name of 100Nikonon the screen print you posted a link to.

So, I'm assuming that's the directory on your camera's CompactFlash card.

You said you had the photos on your computer, right?

If you go to the folder they are located in (perhaps under "Pictures" by default, since I see that on your screen print?), then you should be able to select all of the files (look for a "Select All" menu choice somewhere when you see them on screen), then you should find a "Copy" menu choice (probablysomething like"File, Copy") that you can use to copy the selected images.

Then, go back to the folder you're showing us in your screen print if it's your camera, and you should have a paste function to finish the copy process (probably something like "File, Paste")

Help me out here Dave... I'm ignorantabout Macs. ;-)

Old Oct 20, 2005, 3:40 PM   #7

I had already done what you said Jim but it didn't work.To clarify - what I want to do¬* is transfer pictures from my mac to the camera so I can get the pictures printed off.As you can probably tell I'm not too familiar with using a digital camera!
Old Oct 20, 2005, 3:46 PM   #8
Administrator

David147 wrote:
Quote:
I had already done what you said Jim but it didn't work.To clarify - what I want to do is transfer pictures from my mac to the camera so I can get the pictures printed off.As you can probably tell I'm not too familiar with using a digital camera!
Dave, I'm still confused. What didn't work? Are the pictures on your computer somewhere now?

The folder in your screen print looks like it's probably the camera (Nikon100 folder name). Does this only show up when the camera is attached?

What we need to do is find the photos on your PC and simply copy them to this folder named Nikon100 if it's the one that shows up with your camera attached.

That should be a pretty simple process (but, I'm afraid I don't use a Mac, so I don't know what menu choices to tell you to use).

Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:07 PM   #9

When I put the pictures into that folder then disattatch the camera the pictures are not back on the camera...
Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:11 PM   #10

Never mind guys. All is sorted - thanks to all those who helped