Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 10, 2003, 1:36 AM   #1

Default RAW Speed

Did some 'testing' to finally put my curiousity to rest.

I set my 5700 too RAW mode at 2560-1920 res. using an SanDisk Ultra 256MB and it took 22 secs to write each shot.

Using JPEG it took about 3 to 4 secs. to write at the same 2560x1920 res.

I really like the difference RAW quality makes. For anything but action or the need to take multiple shots in a short time I will use RAW exclusively from now on
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2003, 7:26 AM   #2
NHL

I just repeated the same test using some 'standard' speed flash card on the D7, so if any indication you can halve that time with a microdrive... 8) and since you also have an MB-E5700 NiMh battery grip that shouldn't be a problem for you either: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...082&highlight=
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 1:20 PM   #3

Hi NHL,

Yes the MicroDrive would be a faster solution. Although I have heard to many issues with data loss due to unexpected jarring or mechanical failure to consider them. In my situation it would take just one bump and I could lose someones wedding or portrait shoot, just not worth the risk in my opinion. Also, CF cards are so cheap now, I can get 3 - 256MB SanDisk Ultras at $159 each for the price of a 1GB MD at $529.00. (Canadian $)
Old Feb 10, 2003, 9:22 PM   #4
NHL

koruvs

They are not going to sell many microdrives @ $529.00 :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.d-store.com/d-store/micro...cro_drives.htm
http://www.upgradenation.com/ibmmicrodrive.html

Although I can understand your reluctance for a mechanical device... The microdrives are quite reliable and are designed specifically for portable application. Their vibration and shock specs actually exceed some of the portable drives that people use to download their flash cards to ops:

Many people here like myself are satisfied with the microdrives and have owned more than one. We have actually grown accustomed with this device through usage and not through anecdotal grapevines... However you're right flashes are getting much cheaper now... but I hate to give up the speed though...
Old Feb 11, 2003, 12:00 AM   #5

NHL,

As I noted the $529 price is in Canadian currency...if it were $200+ Canadian I Would get a Micro Drive,
Old Feb 11, 2003, 12:10 AM   #6

koruvs

I'm not fimilar with the 5700. Does it save compressed RAW or uncompressed? 22 seconds a pictures seem quite slow to me (not from experience, just that it would find it annoying.)

It isn't fair to compare it to the D100, but hat is what I know more about. It can save in both modes and the uncompressed is larger by about 1/3 (I believe) but its MUCH faster. It isn't the flash that is slowing it down, it is the camera's processor doing the compression.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 1:55 AM   #7

e-cost is selling a 1GB Kingston CF for only $239 (US$). Sandisk's 1GB (non Ultra) CF could be found for $199 at Dell's online store I believe, but we all know how slow those are
B&H is selling Lexar 1GB 16x for $299(US$ again).

Many manufacturers have dropped their prices on CF, wonder if they have something up their sleeve for PMA They must be strugling to develop higher capacity AND speed to compete with the new microdrives down in the horizon... but I still prefer solid state over microdrive - my friend lost many wedding shots on a 1GB MD when his assistant accidentally dropped it on a hard marble floor I smacked one of my CF's hard on my wood desk (several times to make sure), and it still works perfectly. I'm not willing to trade this ability to stand this kind of abuse, nor a lifetime warranty on the CF (Lexar and a few others offer lifetime warranties on certain CF's, microdrives and a few CF's only get 1 year from date of purchase).
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 1:08 PM   #8

EricS,

I read that the Coolpix 5700's NEF files appear to take longer to process than NEF files from Nikon D-SLR's they weren't quite sure why. Neither am I as I don't have a D-100 or greater. Also, each file is 7.65MB, not sure if its compressed or not.

As I mentioned the 22 seconds to write the 2560x1920 photo is fine by me as long as its not an 'action' type shot. Macros, portraits, still life, distance shots, etc. I'll use RAW most of the time now. For long day trip, action shots JPEG will be used.

I still like JPEG results from this camera it's just for special shots (portraits, etc) RAW makes a difference to me.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 1:35 PM   #9
NHL

Quote:
I smacked one of my CF's hard on my wood desk (several times to make sure), and it still works perfectly
Flash are rated for 2000G shock, ie twice that of the microdrive. They don't have moving mechanisms, but ICs still can't get away from microscopic bonding wires yet... :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you are careful, just like with any camera, and not droping it on a marble floor. You can exploit the benefit of the microdrives while realizing their limitation. You should embrace both technologies and use either depending on the application. A long wait can prevent you from getting the shot for example...

Microdrives also have another benefit that us earthlings have yet to realized. They are also more rad-hard than those electron migration from flash... may be NASA know something we don't... :lol: :lol: :lol: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0105/01...microdrive.asp