Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 14, 2003, 7:52 PM   #1

Default Do you remember the 990 power switch problems?

I have owned several Nikon products over the years and have always been a big fan of the brand. When I converted from 35mm to digital (Dec. 2000) I once again turned to Nikon. They offered a camera that had all of the features I was looking for and had wrapped it in an elegant, rugged case that seemed much more robust than other offerings at the time. I have recorded hundreds of images with the 990 over the last year and a half and really do enjoy the tremendous flexibility of the 990.

However in November of last year the power switch failed and the camera had to be returned for repair. I just got it back today and a $1600.00 investment that was in pristine condition set me back another $339.00 for the repair! 8+ weeks to repair a switch? What the ....

Needless to say, we missed several photo opportunities over the holidays including a championship hockey tournament final with Walter Gretzky in the team photo, what a time to be without our camera, aw crap!

So, my question is this, do I trust that the original power switch has been replaced by a much improved part and it will now last a reasonable amount of time, or do I cut my losses and sell the camera (now that it's working), in an attempt to avoid another very expensive repair a year and a half down the road?

I am looking to the members of this forum so that I can draw on the considerable level of knowledge that resides here. I vaguely remember this issue coming up on the forum shortly after I bought the 990 but didn't pay a lot of attention because I had already bought the camera and heck that's what the warranty is for right! lol.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but thanks for reading and I really am hoping that someone here can offer me some guidance from past experience so I can make the most educated decision possible.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Best Regards,
hicksjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2003, 3:38 AM   #2

I had the standard power switch fault on the CP950, which started
on the "Play" setting, and gradually spread to the "Rec[M]"
position. I paid to have it repaired at about 2yrs old.

Imagine my surprise to encounter the same problem on my CP995,
which, again, started at the "Play" position. I returned the camera
a few days before the one year warranty expired, and the repair
took just over 4 weeks.

So, do Nikon still use ther same components, or have they
improved the reliability? I suspect that the components may be
bought-in and used by other manufactuers as well (eg Olympus?).

best regards from the UK,
Norman Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2003, 8:27 AM   #3

Default Power Switch Problems

Thanks for the info Norman.

I should also add that the front cover of the built-in flash and the battery compartment cover were both replaced in addition to the power switch. There was no explanation given for the two additional repairs that Nikon performed, and they were not part of the original work request.

We felt it was best to get the work done and receive a working camera, then go from there. But needless to say, the cost was a shock.

Please also bear in mind that the cost is in Canadian $ and includes 15% sales tax (don't get me started).
______
Jeff
Old Feb 17, 2003, 12:05 PM   #4
NHL

I don't know if this help, but you can leave the 990 on, and it will automatically shutdown (after 30s, but you can program it to other value). I can then just press the shutter release anytime, or the monitor or menu button to wake the camera up again... 8) 8) 8)

Also now with 2100 mAh NiMh rechargeable battery, the camera lasts on for weeks at a time (don't know about the 995 EN-EL1 though)! This will also minimize the wear & tear on the power switch!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2003, 2:26 PM   #5

Default Thanks NHL

Thanks for the info NHL, I'll keep it in mind.
______
Jeff
Old Feb 17, 2003, 3:05 PM   #6
NHL

BTW most cameras do this... at least my Agfa 1680, and now the D7's also! Actually on the D7's one can also lift the built-in flash to turn the camera on 8) 8) 8)

... there is no need to use the power switch really on digicams, the batteries are rechargeable and inexpensive :lol: :lol: :lol: Also there is no need for the play mode either, the 'Quick View' button let one playback... in the record mode!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote