Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 9, 2005, 12:39 AM   #1

Well, I finally did it. I broke my Cool Pix 990.('',
Got in a hurry to close the battery compartment door and broke off two of the tiny latch tabs. Now, the door won't stay shut with batteries in. Anyone else had to deal with this problem? If so, what is the fix?

Thanks for any responses.

Art in Missouri
1deciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:40 AM   #2

Buy a new battery door, not sure if they want me posting the link here but huron camera.com should have it fora decent price.
darntoothysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 8:31 PM   #3

I had the same thing happen. It is not the door that was the problem. The tabs broke in the body of the camera where the door latch attaches. I fixed it by replacing those tabs with metal tha I milled and fitted to be the same shape. It worked. Except my 990 kept breaking. It did serve me for many years but come on, I expected it to last forever. Buttons started not responding and bouncing. I took it apart and fixed those, several ties. Then the gears in the focus ground off. Ugh. I'm now in the market for a new camera and looking seriously at the FujiFilm FinePix E900. See, it almost sounds the same as the CoolPix 990. I will miss the twist.-Walterin Vermonthttp://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/
pubwvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 1:46 PM   #4
Administrator

You don't have to miss the twist! The new Coolpix S4 went back to the good old swiveling design again

See our Coolpix S4 first look review!

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 5:58 PM   #5

Unfortunately the S4 has no manual controls for aperature and shutter speed. Major bummer! On top of that the joystick is the control from hell. I tried one at Circuit City and it was very difficult to manipulate - often it would missfire. Perhaps I could get used to that but the lack of manual controls makes the S4 a non-option for me.
pubwvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 5:38 PM   #6

I just ordered the replacement 990 battery frame from Nikon parts (310-414-8107)
for $14. Before I start using it, I'm going to reduce the spring tension on the
batteries, which I think, is more because of the "standard" NiMH AA's that
I'm using. The part number for the battery compartment piece is
636-057-4335. If your door-tabs broke off, it would be 636-057-4601.

digigoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 2:10 AM   #7

The same thing happened to me! My 11 year-old son needed to borrow a digital camera last month for a school project, so I loaned my my CP990. I got it out of the cabinet, tried to put batteries in it (I never store anything bit flashlights with batteries in them) and found the door would not latch. We got it to work using a ballon wrapped around the camera at first, and later a tripod mount. I found this thread, and ordered the replacement part from Nikon.

I finally got around to putting it in this week. It was not too hard to replace. I put new batteries in it and turned it on, and it made a horrible grinding sound and refused to focus. I could not believe that I had done anything to the camera that would cause it to do that, so I confronted my son. Yeap, it turns out he had dropped it! I was pretty annoy with him, the school, and myself. I don't use my CP990 that much anymore, but it is still the best macro camera I have and I am sentamentally attached to it. I have been fairly unimpressed with the coolpix line since the 990.

I got really brave and decided to open up the optical side to see if there was anything obvious that could be fixed. (Brave is not really the word, the camera would have cost more to fix than replace, so it was basically totalled.) I discovered that two little plastic pins had sheared, one connected the viewfinder zoom to the optics, I am not sure what the other did. I also found that the zoom optical element was knocked off the track. Since I had nothing really to lose, I attempted to push it back on track with a screwdriver. To my surprise, it popped right back on track. I managed to break the latch on an electrical connector while taking it apart, but it did go back together well enough. I reassembled the camera -- lo and behold! It worked!

Well, it is usable anyway. The viewfinder no longer zooms, but I only used that in really bright light anyway. The zoom does not seem as smooth as it should be, but it does focus sharply at either end and in the middle. And it still makes a really sharp macro.

cnaumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 4:08 AM   #8

By the way, if you do change out a broken battery compartment shell or
battery door, while the camera is apart, you will want to do two more
things -

1- Clip the little steel tab on the battery door that acts like a spring.
You'll see which on it is because you can feel the spring tension
on the door even when there are no batteries installed.

2- Carefully push down on the battery terminals inside the camera
and deform them until they only put enough pressure on the
battery to maintain contact. The contact tension is so high that
it's no surprise that the poor tabs get broken-off!
If you push down too hard on the contact, they can be bent back
up. But really only while the camera is apart. Use a battery to
guage the contact pressure. Tension one battery contact at a time.

digigoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 9:07 PM   #9

Does anyone have a link or doc that describes the compartment replacement process? I just ordered a new compartment for mine since I have been dealing with using duck tape to hold the door closed which only works for a short time. If there is no doc out there I would be willing to document the process. I probably won't get to it for at least a few weeks though.

thanks
Marty
windup76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 1:12 AM   #10

Just found this: http://r.ruffin.home.att.net/cp990/C...tchRepair.html

JMCox is offline   Reply With Quote