Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:50 AM   #1

So after a year of faithful service from my Coolpix 4500, the first problem rears its ugly head. Upon turning it on, the lcd screen does not show what the lens is seeing anymore. All other functions work, such as, viewing pictures on the screen from the card, and all of the menus can be accessed. I just can't seem to get it to function as a viewfinder. Better yet is the fact that any pictures that I take show up totally black now being that the screen shows nothing. Could this be a lens issue? It seems to be focusing fine as I hear it doing so. After going thru all of the menus, online support and manual, I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
mitfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2005, 3:51 PM   #2
Administrator

Did you try pressing the Monitor button while in record mode? If you turn the monitor off and use the optical viewfinder the monitor will stay off when you turn it on the next time. It's the farthest left button above the LCD screen.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 1:56 PM   #3

Hi Steve....and thanks for your help . I did try pressing the monitor button. The monitor is on when I turn the camera on....It just doesn't register what the lens is seeing. All of the parameter information is on the screen in all modes, but the background is black. If I press the review button, all of the previous pictures taken can be viewed, however, any pictures taken after this problem happened just shows up as a fully black picture.
mitfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 6:21 PM   #4
Administrator

That doesn't sound good and the only fix is sending it in for repair which can often cost more than a replacement via eBay or buying a newer model camera. The brand new Coolpix S4 with a 10x lens and 2.5" LCD canbe had for about $320 now.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:37 AM   #5

If the menus work but your screen is totally black and you only get black pictures, then your aperture is stuck closed, no light is getting in. Email me if you read this and I can give you a guy whos a certified Nikon, Canon and Fuji tech and he will fix it cheap.

darntoothysam is offline   Reply With Quote