Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 29, 2005, 3:23 AM   #1

Hi there ladies and gentlemen!:
Recently, well, two days ago i received my new Nikon Coolpix S3 after thinking and looking for other camera reviews.
The main reason i choose the S3 it's because i had previously a Nikon Coolpix 3200 and i was very happy with the pics i took with it. Some questions or tips:

1.-I will love (before i try to investigate and test myself) what's ur opinion abt this camera and what are the best shooting modes outdoor or indoor or if its better to jst leave it everything automatically..

2.- Is it normal that the LCD screen shows lots of noise indoors with jst the living room light?.. not very high definition... maybe i should play more with it, but i will love if someone can hide me..

3.- Any tips or suggestions abt this camera, welcome!!

Thanks in advance!!

ekincheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:16 PM   #2

hi ekincheng

i was planning to buy a Nikon S3 myself. would u recomend to buy this camera?
also is it good in low light conditions cause i have read that it does not capture good pictures at night or in low light.

Thanks
Raj
raj777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 9:21 AM   #3

ekincheng wrote:
Quote:
Hi there ladies and gentlemen!:
Recently, well, two days ago i received my new Nikon Coolpix S3 after thinking and looking for other camera reviews.
The main reason i choose the S3 it's because i had previously a Nikon Coolpix 3200 and i was very happy with the pics i took with it. Some questions or tips:

1.-I will love (before i try to investigate and test myself) what's ur opinion abt this camera and what are the best shooting modes outdoor or indoor or if its better to jst leave it everything automatically..

2.- Is it normal that the LCD screen shows lots of noise indoors with jst the living room light?.. not very high definition... maybe i should play more with it, but i will love if someone can hide me..

3.- Any tips or suggestions abt this camera, welcome!!

Thanks in advance!!
Quote:
I don't mean to burst your bubble here, but I honestly have to say that I DON'T like this camera. I went through 2 of them before I returned it in favor of the Casio S500...far supperior. Let me explain: The first thing I noticed when I took the camera out of the box was the name on the front...on an angle...nice going Nikon, you can't even put lettering on the camera straight.Second, while using the zoom button I noticed it squeeked...back it went. As I said I tried 2 of them...the second one didn't have the squeeky button, but did havethe samenoticeable twisted logo on the front. Image quality...I didn't like it at all. It was hit and miss. I don't expect a point-and-shoot camera to match the image quality of a good dSLR, but I do expect Nikon to manufacture a quality camera, after all, they have been doing it for many years. I really don't think that Nikon puts much effort in their small camera department, especially considering what I have experienced with this camera. When it comes to pro cameras...well Nikon is the tallest hog in the trough. I use them professionaly and I swear by them. Sorry Nikon...this little S3 you call a camera should go back to the R&D department or scratched all together.
Quote:
My advice to you, if it's worth anything...take it back, if you can, and pick yourself up a Casio S500 or perhaps the S600 (it's now on the market). You will be MUCH more happy with it.
Quote:
Happy shooting!
jpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 9:34 AM   #4

raj777 wrote:
Quote:
hi ekincheng

i was planning to buy a Nikon S3 myself. would u recomend to buy this camera?
also is it good in low light conditions cause i have read that it does not capture good pictures at night or in low light.

Thanks
Raj
Read my other reply regarding this camera...so it's called! But in answer to your question...the S3 is bad in low light situations. I tested it shooting the logo on the front of my TVin a very low light situaltion. The image was terrible. I actually expected it to be, as I didn't think a point and shoot would be able to perform well under those conditions.When I finally opted for the Casio S500, I tried the very same shot. Bingo... the image was dead on, and the logo on the TV came out sharp. I was very impressed. The Casio S500 does a wonderful job in low light.
jpeg is offline   Reply With Quote