Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 8, 2005, 3:59 PM   #11

Hi Angie. Thanks for posting the pictures. It's a bit hard to tell, but the zoom pics don't seem to be near the 8800's. But that doesn't matter so much if it works well at slightly lower zoom levels. I'll have to go in and try one out. The limitations my 8800 has in some situations make me a bit more cautious recommending another Nikon to a friend, but maybe that's being silly. I hope you don't have a serious health problem !

Regards, Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 3:35 AM   #12

I can send some more pictures, just let me know what you would like to see. I still got the S4.

It is very like the Coolpix 4500, which I still got and if ever anything happens to that one, I might replace it with the S4. I think one of the drawbacks is that the S4 hasn't got any manual controls. at the top you got a choice between Auto, Scene and Video. The swivel body I found very good on the 4500 for close-ups. It would be the same with the S4. The S4 feels nice and solid and it would be good for a trip like your friends, unless he wants a lot of control.

My 4500 had a lot more choice. The S4 is a good point and shot camera. I always liked the scene modes, but for some reason, I haven't used them as at all with the 8800. Is yours still in good working order? I get more and more used to it and I do use it more often than the 4500 now. The lack of additional parts like batteries is a bit worrying, but on my recent visit to Germany I managed to get one. So with 4 batteries I should have enough for next year's trip to Southern Brazil.

ed, could you send some of your photos as a comparison?

Greetings from

Angie
frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 12:27 PM   #13

Hi!

I use the camera as a 'old' camera and print straight from the memory card...:G

I'm quiet happy with most of the pics. I just wanted to say that by using digital zoom the camera just makes the pixels bigger so you shouldn't really use it as it is not very clear. 10xoptical zoom works very well outside but is less usable (without a tripod) indoors or in low light.

Enjoy the camera!!

Ed

ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 2:57 PM   #14

I notice Steve already has it on his Best Cameras list and hasn't even finished the review. It must be reasonably competent.

I would think it hard to acquire and follow action in dynamic situations with the LCD though. It is hard with a 3X zoom. I would probably make a makeshift sight for it I could stick on with Velcro.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 8:56 PM   #15

On the S4 the BSS Mode (Best Shot Selector) is a substitute for an image stabilizer and works just fine. As you hold the shutter down it will take up to 10 shots in rapid successtion and only put the sharpest one on the card, rejecting all others. Of course you don't have to take all 10 shots, just as many as you like. I can't understand why no one has mentioned this before. Evidently few people read the manual. This works great for close-ups, low light shots as well as 10X shots. It may not be as convenient as a stabilizer but it sure beats carrying a tripod around. Give it a try. You'll be surprised at the results.*
Mutant 890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 3:21 AM   #16

I purchased the S4 about a month ago.* It takes great pictures, and they sharpen great afterwards too.* The zoom is fantastic.* The macros amazing.* It has no IS, and what happens is the image shakes (at 10X zoom) and when you press the shutter the picture is sharp and not blurry.* IS cameras make the subject dance and wobble and also the picture comes out sharp.* My only complaint is that the LCD is hard to read in the sunlight...one has to find a little shade, or get creative.* But it is worth the camera, in that it is pocket sized and you carry that x10 zoom which is a lot of fun.* Low light brings in some blur (as with most small cameras except for the Fuji F10), but the pictures are still very good and the colors still warm and rich.* I am looking forward to the next S4, with a better LCD, a view finder, IS, ISO 800 or 1600 like the Fuji F10.* Really Nikon can pull it off and it would be an unbeatable camera!* But for now it is the only x10 zoom in your pocket. Get a tight fitting case, put it on your belt, and you can carry this 7 ounce beauty all over.* It will look like you've got a boring x3 zoom in the belt, but it is really James Bond's Spy Nikon X10 S4 camera!**
Attached Images

mgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 3:35 AM   #17

Fun at Ft. Lauderdale airport
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2005, 3:42 AM   #18

Lucky the dog
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2006, 5:54 AM   #19

S4 without stabilizer for full zoom like you is fine. Because Nikon 8800 supposeto switch off the vibrationreduction while zoom with tripod anyway. And you have very nice pictures!:-)
Nikon8800 is offline   Reply With Quote