Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 6, 2006, 1:22 PM   #11

I just had the system error 2 happen to my Nikon. Please tell me I dont have to send this camera in? I hope to hear some other suggestions, Ill have to try and reboot once I figure out how...Thanks,

Ryan Fritz
ryanfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 1:52 PM   #12
10X

Ihope you don't have to send it back also. The only things I know about are to remove the battery and memory card for several minutes up to over night (as some folks have suggested) and see if it comes back. Has the camera received any hard bumps or been dropped? Good luck
10X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:16 PM   #13

i!

i also have a system erro II.

Can i do anything to fix this bug?
Vitor azeredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:05 AM   #14

Does somebody know if the suggestion of Nikon works or are some kind of palliative to make you calm for a while before you call them?

I have the system error 2 since a week more or less and I've tried many times turning it on and off, changing the card...

Do you really think that the problem could be caused by a non "original" memory card?

Thank You in advance

Vincenzo
Pinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:11 PM   #15
10X

It is absolutely not the cards fault. Nikon is grasping at straws saying it is. See my above posts. Have you dropped lightly or jarred your camera hard? These things are not nearly as durable as Nikon film cameras.
10X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 12:21 PM   #16

I have had my 8800 for over a year and a half. I have shot about 5,000 photos. I use both the Lexar cards and San Disc cards. I have not had any problems and have never received an error message. I had one Lexar card fail on me though.

I do mainly outdoor and landscape photos. My camera bag is a back pack if that tells you how the camera is used.

Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:01 AM   #17

Digital Cameras are basically small personal computers. System Errors are usually a result of one or more of its system not operating. This can be a result of mechanical, electrical or component failure.

The operating instructions (firmware), or operating system, is not unlike MS-DOS or MS-Windows and can be corrupted just as easily. Sometimes rebooting the camera will solve the system error if it is not a result of corrupted firmware. Unfortunately corrupted firmware in a camera cannot be repaired by just downloading a new copy of the firmware. This is because the instructions the camera requires to download new firmware is actually part of the Firmware Code. This was a problem that early PC's had to contend with and if the Firmware was corrupted, the motherboard had to be serviced and the BIOS Chip had to be replaced or removed and re-programmed.

If your camera Firmware is corrupted then the camera has to be serviced, opened up and a new Firmware Memory Chip installed. Little secrets that manufacturers keep to themselves.

Also our bodies are current generaters, and just like some people not being able to wear watches, the same effect can happen with certian cameras.
custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 1:07 PM   #18

I have an 8800 for work. Worked fine for over 1yr, now has the dreaded "System 2 Error". the cards we've used are the Digital Media Comact Flash from Simple Tech bought from the camera dealer (two 512MB cards we use). We tried swapping batteries, reseting the camera and swapping cards as well as re-formatting the cards. Can take one picture or video, then need to turn off and turn on. Can download pictures and video to the computer so it is getting to the card ok and the card is working. Will try leaving the battery out for a day or two to see if this fixes it.

Matt
mpleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:24 PM   #19

I've had my 8800 for about 2 years without any problems. I never take the memory card out as I use the USB cable to download. I did download the last (?) firmware version 1.7. I wonder if there is a relationship between the system errors and removing and reinserting the memory card ?

But I'm still glad Nikon Canada offers 2 year warranties and I added 2 more years of extra coverage. It's not comforting to keep reading reports of these problems asI find it a wonderful camera for the type of photography I like.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:27 AM   #20

Well touch wood I've had mine about 2 years now, 3400 shots and it's okay.
skes is offline   Reply With Quote