Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 9, 2005, 10:23 PM   #1
10X

I have 2 8800's the first one had to go in to Nikon in July with a SYSTEM ERROR 2 and I have the second one in for repair right now with the same error. After searching a few websites it looks like this can be a common problem with these cameras. Nikon wanted to charge me $162.50 before they knew it was under warranty. I cannot afford that much money every time this happens when these things go out of warranty. Nikon is of no help when I ask them why this is happening or what it will take to fix it. They said it was because of the unsupported cards I am using (Lexar 1G 80x). Everyone I have talked to outside of Nikon says that is a lie. There is no way these cards can hurt the cameras.

I just want to know how often this is happening to other people. I am batting a thousand and needless to say getting disappointed with Nikon.

10X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:41 AM   #2

I had a this erros message happen 2 times. For both instances, I rebooted the camera. I think the process was a in the setup menu. I also took the card out and inserted in back. I did not lose any pictures.
djsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:56 PM   #3

never happened to me
post infinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 3:25 PM   #4

Who are "all" of these people outside of NIKON thats says thats a lie?
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 6:03 PM   #5
10X

sw2cam wrote:
Quote:
Who are "all" of these people outside of NIKON thats says thats a lie?
Since I first posted this question I found 1 person at Nikon who said the Lexar cards were not at fault.

This is in addition to 3 different professional (not chain) camera stores in my area.

4 computer/camera professionals

3 professional photographers
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:26 AM   #6

No problems with mine at all.
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 3:09 PM   #7

I have my 8800 for over 8 months, I have not experienced that problem.
berkant_atay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:14 PM   #8

Maybe we should detailed this post a little further by telling what card we use. Hopefully, we can find the problem. My 8800 have never experienced to any errors. The card I used is San Disc 1G. Mostly stored in room temperature, and used quite frequently.
Nikon8800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 3:21 PM   #9

I've been using my 8800 for about 9 months and taken over 2000 photos. I've been happy with the results but now have received the dreaded SYSTEM ERROE 2 message. I'm using a 1 Gig Elite Pro CF card by Kingston. Same error with a 512 mb Viking card. I've tried reformating, taking the battery out for over 24 hrs. and any other suggestions I could find. I guess it's back to Nikon. What a disappointment.
anziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:48 AM   #10
10X

I know just how you feel. At least you are still under warranty. It took Nikon over 3 weeks to get my camera back to me so be prepared to wait. After many calls to Nikon mine arrived just 12 hours before we left for our Christmas Holiday. The Internet tracking through the repair process is mostly useless. The camera was back to me before they said they were even working on it. Since both of my cameras are now out of warranty it is like walking on very thin ice. Good luck.