Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 27, 2003, 9:57 AM   #1

Default Nikon CoolPix 2500 vs Canon A40

I'm interested in the Nikon over the Canon because of the pics I have seen on another web site & as far as flesh tones the Nikons is the best & Macro is MUCH better as well.
My question is this, do I have to look at the screen to take a picture ?? And if so can you see the screen in bright sunlight. and is there a way around this????
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2003, 2:19 AM   #2

I don't know about Canon; but, Coolpix 2500 has no optical viewfinder and you must use the LCD screen. Depending on the direction sunlight, occasionally image on the LCD screen cannot be seen or may be completely washed out. However, this is not a Coolpix problem; almost all LCDs share the same problem. I have been using the 2500 for several months and found out that this problem is not so significant. In many cases, we can use our hands or add a LCD shade to block the not-so-welcome light. I have a Coolpix 2500 user guide, which still is under-construction. Hope it helps.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
[/quote]
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 3:02 AM   #3

Default LCD screen

Shene: Other than the LCD problem, on a sunny day, are you happy with it & is there any dislikes about the camera, in other words are you happy with yer purchase of the 2500???
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 4:37 PM   #4

Jaydee,
I own a 2500 and I can say the only problem I have with it is it tends to overexpose using flash at close range or in, macro mode.
If you use macro without the flash, it is great.
I have a black cat, and when I use the flash, he looks sort of gray and his eyes are very bright green or sometimes his eyes look very bright off white.
My old Sanyo VPC-X350 did not have those problems, the cat comes out real black and his eyes show gold not white or green.
The Nikon 2500 does fantastic in macro and I am happy with it.
The LCD screen will get washed out in bright sunlight, but I shade it and it is fine.
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 10:42 PM   #5

Default Re: LCD screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Shene: Other than the LCD problem, on a sunny day, are you happy with it & is there any dislikes about the camera, in other words are you happy with yer purchase of the 2500???
I got my 2500 from the first batch. I use it for VERY casual shots and am very satisfied. Some suggested the following problems:

(1) CAN EASILY GET FINGER PRINTS ON THE LENS: in my experience, if you are used to the recommended way of rotating the lens unit out of the camera frame, it is not an issue. Frankly, I have never had my finger prints on the lens.

(2) FLASH EXPOSURE AND RED-EYE: Due to the fact that the flash is very close close to the lens, red-eye cannot be avoided. This is the only problem with the flash I hate. The exposure problem usually occurs in very close distance and with macro. However, this is a universal problem.

(3) LACK OF CONTROL IN SCENE MODES: This is perhaps a design oversight. For example, one cannot set white-balance in the macro mode. However, I rarely use scene mode and do not feel it is a significant problem.

(4) NO LENS THREAD MAKING THE USE OF FILTERS AND CONVERTER LENSES DIFFICULT: This is a big problem to me. My way of overcoming this problem is by hand-holding the filter or converter in front of the camera lens. It works fine most of the time as reported in my 2500 user guide; however, it is a little clumsy.

(5) DIFFICULT TO USE EXTERNAL FLASH: Nikon seems to have a different way of handling flash exposure with the 2500 than other 9xx and 4500 cameras. The 2500 has not connector or hot-shoe for external flash. As a result, one must use slave flashes. However, the 2500 has difficulty in synchronize with popular, cheaper, and non-Nikon flashes.

Well, in summary, the 2500 works great in the sunlight and even in cloudy days. For indoor shots with flash, watch out for red-eye.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote