Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 7, 2003, 7:24 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14
Default looking to get a Coolpix 990 as 2nd digital cam..

For night time sky photos.. I was warned to be on the look out of any stuck pixels or anything of that kind on used cameras..

This must of been a good camera I still see a few posts on the camera.. the price has went down enough for me.
digitalcamuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2003, 7:47 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14
Default

oh and the max bulb setting with the cable release is 60 sec right?
digitalcamuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 9:03 AM   #3
kyb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 7
Default

If you own a Palm or PocketPC, the 60s Bulb limit won't be a problem. There is software available with which you can do much longer bulbs (almost infinit long). But be careful. You will need the serial cable SC-EW3 from Nikon to use this Software. I think it is included with the 990, but I'm not shur about that.

You may also look for Harbourtronic's DigiSnap. Nice Piece of Hardware, which can do much more than the MC-EU1 controller from Nikon.

Good luck, Kyb
kyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 12:44 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb
If you own a Palm or PocketPC, the 60s Bulb limit won't be a problem. There is software available with which you can do much longer bulbs (almost infinit long). But be careful. You will need the serial cable SC-EW3 from Nikon to use this Software. I think it is included with the 990, but I'm not shur about that.

You may also look for Harbourtronic's DigiSnap. Nice Piece of Hardware, which can do much more than the MC-EU1 controller from Nikon.

Good luck, Kyb
Why do you say to be careful? I do have a palm lol an older Palm III but it should do the trick.. But you can Override what the cameras Max Bulb setting is?? If So Minolta Needs to buy these chips off of Nikon! I saw about the DigiSnap thing.. The palm would be better for what I would be doing.. But are their cables already made for it?
digitalcamuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 2:39 PM   #5
kyb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 7
Default

Hi,
the "be careful" was about the cable. As I mentioned I'm not sure if it is shipped with the 990 or if the 990 already uses the USB cable.

A good point to start looking for software would be:
http://vyskocil.free.fr/coolcom/

Have fun, Kyb
kyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 2:33 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb
Hi,
the "be careful" was about the cable. As I mentioned I'm not sure if it is shipped with the 990 or if the 990 already uses the USB cable.

A good point to start looking for software would be:
http://vyskocil.free.fr/coolcom/

Have fun, Kyb
Yes that site I ran into when looking up stuff for the 990... nikon 990 owners said it's better and cheeper then what nikon wanted for the remote cable.
digitalcamuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 2:00 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 12
Default Re: looking to get a Coolpix 990 as 2nd digital cam..

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcamuser
For night time sky photos.. I was warned to be on the look out of any stuck pixels or anything of that kind on used cameras..

This must of been a good camera I still see a few posts on the camera.. the price has went down enough for me.
==================

It's funny that you'd 'like' a Nikon 990 as a "second" camera.
It was a good camera since it was chosen as Time magazines' Machine of the Year at one point in time.

I still use it as my main camera and there is nothing out there YET that makes me want to upgrade in the 'prosumer' range. I have photographed everything from incredible lightning vistas at night to the smallest of living creatures with this camera.

This 'old' camera can be connected to a spotting scope to achieve ridiculously long and sharp photos of the moon or of a bird 1 mile away. Few digicams allow these options because of the in-and-out manual telephoto lens designs on most consumer cameras now.

I take pictures with the 990 using a basic photo stitching method of documents and artwork that rival any 10 mega-pixel camera for detail and can print over 13"x19" regularly (with my Epson 1280) razor sharp.

It's certainly not a perfect camera, and totally sucks at some things. Newer cams have improved. But Newer cams haven't too.

The key is that the 990 is great at what it does if you know how to use it. I use it to make a living, and that's good enough for me until the camera companies make an affordable digital 35mm film equivalent. More megapixels is over-rated.

This is also a camera that fits the users hands, rather than the tiny small crap produced these days with no mass.
printer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 11:51 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 148
Default reply to printer 27

Long live the 990!! Yes i own other nikon cameras such as the 5700 and so on. But i still use and love the 990 and i have no low light problem with it. And i will use it for ever :lol:
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.