Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 25, 2006, 1:35 PM   #11

Hi Steve,

I am sure you are right with your answers. I sure do appreciate all your help to me when I first purchased my Nikon 8800. I did not know how to turn it on or install a battery.

You've got to be the most patient person on earth. I think so anyway. AND, don't put yourself down Buddy. I've seen your photo and you look just Great. And, your kindness speaks volumes about you.

If I only knew all the technical stuff you know.

I wouldn't trade my 8800 for all the other cameras. I have a number of other cameras, but don't use them any more. I'm giving them to my kids and grandkids.

Thank you again for all your help.

Much Respect,

divertwo

divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:42 PM   #12

Bald Eagle taken yesterday morning.

Steve
Attached Images

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:44 PM   #13

I don't have a baby to show the 8800's prowess in daylight, but I DO have 2 stinky buddies !

Steve
Attached Images

Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:46 PM   #14

And I can't forget my other baby !

Steve
Attached Images

Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:13 PM   #15

Wonderful Eagle pic - incredible. Your two "stinky buddies" are lovely too. I can't even find the owner's manual. I can find the one in Spanish, but not the one in English. I'm sure I've put it up to keep it safe and have no memory of it. I remember putting it in AF Area Mode, but can't remember how to do that...is there an online manual anywhere? I know next to nothing about photography, so y'all will have to be patient with me too...sorry.
moma4faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:28 PM   #16

moma4faith

Goto the link belowand check the camera review for the Nikon 8800. You can print all the info and I mean to tell you there is some Great info here.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

divertwo
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:33 PM   #17

Hi Moma ! Thanks for the compliments, but I must swing the praise to Mother Nature and the engineers at Nikon ! I did download a very helpful review of the 8800 from Imaging Resources that explained each function of the camera. But, as I sense you may feel the same, I'm not interested in copious amounts of technical stuff... I just want good photos ! I used to work for an airline and remember compilmenting a pilot on a super smooth landing. He replied that it was done on full auto, by the flight computer ! The 8800 is a complex camera and has a myriad of controls for those interested. I couldn't care less ! I bought the camera for the 10X zoom and close up ability and I don't care if it chooses how, or I do...I just want a good photo ! So, I've left the camera set on 8MP Extra and full auto. I'm really happy with a years worth of results. I use an editing program that was free, named ACDsee. It is so simple that most photos only need the "auto adjust" click to meet my satisfaction. It isn't necessary to set the camera carefully when you can do so much with editing. I used to spend hours, like a magician, watching soggy paper floating in a smelly chemical become a print. Now it's so easy. Take advantage of the "auto" setting. You probably drive well with an automatic transmission, so why not your camera ? I've always believed the good shot comes from the eye and the method of obtaining it doesn't matter. Some people enjoy all the settings, but, as with my cell phone, I just want to make a call or take a good shot and don't care about the rest.

Please feel free to e mail me privately ( you can do so by clicking on my name, I believe) and I'll help you through the basics if you'd like. You have an excellent tool and I'm sure the coming Spring will provide a lot of great opportunities to film Junior in natural light, the way I like best !

I appreciate your candor. I hope all this helps !

Regards, Steve
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:47 PM   #18

I bought my 8800 for sailing because of the zoom and all in one (I Thought) Camera design. I had a problem getting in focus shots for a while and found it was always a slow shutter speed . I now shoot in shutter priority, like I did for years with 35mm. The problem is that, to get a decent speed in anything other than BRIGHT light, you either have to underexpose or use a higher ISO, which is going to make a grainy picture. I Like the Camera mostly, but I will get something with faster or better ISO when available.

I also would recomend photo berts plastic coated cheat sheet if you want to use the other settings and get the most out of your camera http://photocheatsheets.com/

I bought it and later bought his Adobe CS Cheat Sheet as well. Top Quality and easier than carrying the manual.

Brian D.
Capt of Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:34 PM   #19

Hey Steve,

The Eagleand your two babys arereally something. You do such a fine job with your 8800.

Is the river up any? What with all the rain you may have to build a mud wall to stem the overflow. We don't need any more water in Tn.

Take care now and keep shooting.

divertwo