Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 15, 2003, 6:29 PM   #1

Default 3100 update

I Just wanted to let some people know that after having taken a little over 365 pix. this camera workes very well. The scene modes are very well done!! The pix are sharp and clean. The only draw back i see is that the battery drain even with the lcd off is quite high. Just wanted to let you know.Thanks Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2003, 8:13 PM   #2

How are the low light capabilities? Any visible CCD noise (graininess)?
bobshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 8:51 PM   #3

Default to bobshell

so far i dont notice to much noise. The graininess is no different than any other 3mp camera i have used. I have more low light problems with my 5700 than this camera. I have printed 2 11x17 on my epson photo 1280 and was told they look great. But i also know that its early on yet for this camera,so will have to keep on testing to see just how well things turn out. But for the price and the size i think its a great little camera.Tealblue
Old Mar 15, 2003, 10:52 PM   #4

I have pre-ordered this camera (the nikon 3100) but I have been having second thoughts (the Canon A70 instead perhaps). There are zero reviews or sample pictures, just previews of this camera. It would be incredibly helpfull if you could post some pictures for us to look at!

Thanks!
dvdvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 9:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvideo
I have pre-ordered this camera (the nikon 3100) but I have been having second thoughts (the Canon A70 instead perhaps). There are zero reviews or sample pictures, just previews of this camera. It would be incredibly helpfull if you could post some pictures for us to look at!

Thanks!
Concerning the Nikon CP 3100 v. the Canon PS A70, you may want to look into the "sharpness issue" that has plagued the A70's predecessors A20, A30 and A40 and see if this is under control in rhe A70. The review at: http://dcresource.com/ suggests that the A70 also has a noticable "sharpness issue" .

I found this to be a big problem with my A40 which I may replace with a CP 3100. Alll that said, if you want sharper pics, then the CP 3100 may be the better camera. The only way to really tell is to look at some full 3 MP pics.

Good luck,

Steve
srhaymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 12:24 AM   #6

dcresource.com wrote
Quote:
The Nikon Coolpix 3100 is a decent enough camera, but certainly not the best in class. It's a point-and-shoot camera with only one manual control (white balance). The scene modes are a nice touch, though I think that some of the overlays on the LCD are a little over-the-top. The performance and photo quality are good, though in low light both suffer. The performance goes downhill due to the lack of an AF-assist lamp, while the photo quality gets quite noisy due to the 3100's auto ISO system. I do applaud Nikon for allowing the 3100 to use an external flash. If I hadn't reviewed Canon's PowerShot A70 recently, I'd probably be more enthusiastic about the Coolpix, but after spending some time with both the 3100 pales in comparison. Still, the 3100 is worth a look.
Also, it doesn't have a threaded lense which basically eliminates it for me.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 12:57 AM   #7

Canon's PowerShot A70 does has very blur picture when compared to the Nikon Coolpix 3100, you cant be a Nikon lens. And as for dcresource.com review thats one person opinion.

tealblue thanks for the answer to my question.
sharpis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 1:52 PM   #8

I have the nikon 2100 which is basically the 3100 but 2 megapixels and have taken over a hundred pics. I find the pictures have turned out great for the most part. I have run into some red in some of the pics but most have not. All cameras have red eye problems so I wouldn't hold it against them. Just my two cents

Peace...

Shiggy
shiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2003, 10:39 AM   #9

3100/a70. I have also ran a little test with the aA70 i got from a friend and used my 3100.I did 7 pix,some inside some outside and all on a tripod. and then printed them at 8x10 and 2 of them at 11x17.all on a epson photo 1280. Iam sorry but the ones from the A70 were full of noise and not sharp. Now i would NOT make a 11x17 all the time from this little 3100 but for a 8x10 or 5x7 this is a great SIMPLE POINT AND SHOOT camera. Just my H.O. Tealblue