Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 16, 2003, 4:03 PM   #1

Default Nikon d100 and sony f707

I just got the nikon d100 and I know that there are forums about this but,I wanted this on the front page so people who come here looking for advice would see it first.Sony blows nikon away.Nikon is very under exposed as you can read in other forums.I have seen great photos made with the nikon but I can't get the camera to do near as good as my sony.in short...three nikon cameras that I have owned and the sony tops them all.
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2003, 4:26 PM   #2

TroyB, are you beginner photographer!?

Because you think Nikon D100 blew and Sony F707 is better. Well, I disagreed.

Sony has problem for ACTION OR MOVEMENT. Yes, it was great for scene or nature or people but not great for action! Also I test bothed I shoot the FULL MOON and I see that D100 best than F707 white balance and clear.

I had nikon D100 and D1H, of course I had F707. I have no problem with D100 and D1H as my own setting than AUTO PROGRAM (learn, no deal!)

But I kept F707 for nightshot is nice!

I know maybe 25% D100 users did fine. 50% d100 users average good or bad. 25% D100 users complain bad. It's nobody perfect!

PolarBear Claw!
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 8:10 PM   #3

TroyB

I've read a fair amount about the D100. Most people say that it under exposes. This seems to be intentional. The guess is that it's possible to save an underexposed picture in photoshop, but it's impossible to bring back details from an overexposed picture. The info just isn't there.

You can also easily adjust the camera to "correct" for this under exposure.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 9:31 PM   #4

[quote="polarbear"]TroyB, are you beginner photographer!?

Hi Polarbear.
No I am not a beginner. and I am not professional.But I know under exposed when I see it. I have been using digital cameras a long time. I started out in photography with canon 35mm cameras my last one being the (elan7e) over the last few years i have been using digital cameras most of the time. I tried the nikon coolpix a couple of years ago and I didn't like the exposure. It seemed under exposed.Even using custom settings.So I went to olympus it was a good camera. I then went to sony and it was very good. Then I tried and still have the nikon d100 Again underexposed. I have tried different lens I now have the (28-105 d series) the exposure is better with this lens but not what I'm use to.In short everyone has different taste in what they think is good.Just because someone says a camera is better than others doesn't make the Begginer's.If this camera is so great and has no problem with exposure why is there websites just for nikon (underexposed)
http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID71/731.html

http://www2.photosig.com/viewarticle.php?id=1068

Anyway I'm glad your happy with your nikon. and when I get use to mine I will be to
have a great day.
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2003, 6:36 PM   #5

I agree with Polarbear and Eric.

Sure the D100 underexpose on autosettings - but there's more to it than that. I think many of the D100 owners posted their complains before they learned about the camera and i.e curves. You can to a lot to adjust the pics to fit to your own needs. It not a point and shoot camera - many people seems to think so - that's a shame.

The D100 demands you to learn all it's adjustments setting to get the most out of it. When you have learned that - it's one heck of a digicam.

The comparision between Sony F707 and the D100 is absurd - makes no sense.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2003, 7:08 PM   #6

gee Klaus thats one of the few things i agree with you on to try to compare the sony with the nikon.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 2:07 AM   #7

Hi SJMS

Well... I can see that we also share the same brand of tripod ballheads!
:lol:
Old Mar 23, 2003, 8:58 AM   #8

Klaus- i guess so. mines been around the world with me a few times. would'nt give it up. do you use RRS or Kirk plates with it?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 12:10 PM   #9

SJMS

To be honest with you - I dont know. The plate was with the ballhead when I bought it. There's no brandname on it - so I recon it a manfretto too ? Is there any way to see that ?

Funny you ask me about the plate because it's the only thing that I'm not totally satisfied with. The attatchsystem (screw?!) into my camera is much bigger than my old system. It's not easy to place the camera with the plate attached on a desk. It will tilt with the camera. Maybe you know the problem ? Any advice ?

regards Klaus
Old Mar 23, 2003, 2:57 PM   #10

This guy DEFINATELY is a begginer....
MizzleJizzle is offline   Reply With Quote