Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 11, 2003, 1:37 PM   #21

The fastest shots I would take are likely to come from muay Thai (kickboxing) matches or training. The lighting for these situations can vary from outdoor sunlight (from the bipolar Chicago sun) to regular indoor fluorescent lighting to the only light coming from above the ring.

I would also want to take pictures of Jiu-Jitsu competitions (same lighting range as muay Thai but not quite as fast action), football, and soccer.

Would I need a smaller f-stop than the 5700's 2.8? I just realized that's wat it is. I thought it had f-1.8 or 2.0.

Action shots are not the main purpose of me getting a digicam though. I would also take pictures at various parties my friends throw (I'm only 24 so there are definately some kodak moments to be found at these ), scenary, and most definately cars (mainly parked. stuff like at auto shows).

Thanks for the input and any future info!

- Jeff
mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2003, 11:24 AM   #22

The best thing to do is to try it out. If f2.8 is not enough to capture the action in certain lighting conditions, you can optionally set the ISO to a higher number - with the drawback of some added noise.

The outdoor sunlight will provide more than enough light for sharp action shots. The indoor fluorescent light may not be enough to stop action. Of course, using a tripod to freeze background and creating "action" blur on your moving subjects may produce a desirable effect for some images.
SysUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2003, 1:02 PM   #23

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I figured that if you were able to get good shots at the horse track than results from football and soccer games should be comparable.

The indoor shooting is why I was looking for a camera with a hotshoe. I think I may just hold off on getting a digicam (again) for the next few months though. The rebate and price deduction on the 5700 makes me suspect a successor is coming soon. Maybe it, if it exists, will be better than the 5700 or something else will come out that will be up my alley. Several other people I've talked to feel the same way. If nothing else, maybe the 5700 will drop in price again! Thanks for all the info though. I'll keep it in mind.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 11:38 PM   #24

Quote:
I think I may just hold off on getting a digicam (again) for the next few months though.
I'm actually on the other end of this scenario. I bought the 5700 because I was too anxious on getting a better camera than the one I already had. Unfortunately, I think I changed my mind.

It's not that the 5700 is a bad camera. I think it's well worth the money - especially since it's finally dropping in price. And I probably would never have known that I wanted even more of a camera only a month after I bought the 5700, if it wasn't for my experiences with the new camera.

I'm on the verge of selling it and moving up to the SLR arena. The amount of money I spent on the camera itself and the add-ons (telephoto and wide-angle, etc.), was getting close to the SLR low-range prices. I should have forked over a couple extra hundred bucks to get one of the less expensive SLRs. I'll now have to suffer for selling the 5700 at a loss and moving up.

I now have over two thousand dollars rapped up in mid-range digicams and I want to be in the SLR market. Hmmm. Maybe I'll sell the Canon G2 also... Oh well, we learn.

SysUs. (Dan)
SysUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2003, 6:41 PM   #25

True dat! I'm kind of thinking along the same lines. I was figuring that the amount of money I'd be spending on a digicam was not going to be too far off of dSLR. I'm sure I'll never fork over for enough for one of the higher end dSLR's but the D100 seems to be pretty good. dSLR's are probably well above my head given my current level of knowledge and experience but I think I can grow in to them...well...one, anyways.

I'd really like to have a digicam soon but I'd be better off waiting until I find something that actually suits my wants/needs.