Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 18, 2003, 10:02 AM   #1

Default Pros and cons for the 5700 from owners

I am close to buying my first and last digital camera. I have narrowed the field and I want to know why I should buy the 5700 and not the Fuji S602 (I am leaning slightly this way). Please tell me any positives or negatives on the 5700 (if you own it). I am trying to figure out why I would spend the additional $$$ for this camera.

Thanks for all the help!!!!
PTguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2003, 1:49 PM   #2

The Nikon has a slightly higher learning curve than some cameras. It is not made for point and shoot and full auto mode but it will work fine for that purpose. I just get better results when I use the manual or the other settings. This camera is made for consumers with a good background in photography or someone who wants to learn. The 8x is great for outdoor use with plenty of light. Indoors you need plenty of light to take advantage of the zoom. Low light focusing can be a problem under very low light indoors but most cameras have a problem with this. You will have to use a tripod for some real low light situations. It is also not a camera for indoor sports activities and outdoors you will have to use good technique for moving objects. I tryed shooting my daughters basketball game and had to give up. I use the hot shoe for an external flash and it works great. The internal flash is ok for closer shots but will not illuminate a large area. If print quality is what you are after, this camera delivers excellent photos that are well saturated and are true to life. I took a shot of my church group with 27 people and had Walmart develop an 8 x 10 print. The print looked like it was shot from a 4x5 professional format camera. I have also shot my sisters wedding and alot of my photos were better than the professional photographers. I only wished it had a manual focusing ring on the lens itself. The manual focusing on the camera is kind of a pain, but it can be done.

Nikon 5700
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 2:33 PM   #3

Great input...thanks. How often do you have to use manual focus on this camera?
PTguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 2:54 PM   #4

PTguy:
I haven't used it all that much. I used it at my daughters basketball game and maybe used it another time. You would just use the manuel focus in very dark situations where the auto focus wouldn't work.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 12:23 AM   #5

I really like my 5700. Here's some of my gripes with it though:

Besides the learning how to use the manual focus (if it's possible), I'm not that thrilled with the battery life. My Canon G2 batteries last about 3 times as long. I'm interested to find out if the addtional 6 AA battery attachment is much better. I would expect it to be, but I want to make sure before I shell out $150 bucks.

And a note on when you might want to use manual focus. I went to Santa Anita race track in Paseda on Sunday and I wanted to set the manual focus to a certain distance so when the horses got to that point, I could start shooting right away. I had very little luck. 1 in about 10 attempts were successful. At 3 pictures a set, it took 30 snapshots to get one clearly focused image.

I'm also a little disappointed in the software that came with the camera. Canon bundled software includes applications that can interact directly with the camera. I think there's some trial software that does this, but I haven't ventured there yet because I know it's going to cost me more money in the long run.

Next, is the filter issue. As far as I know, you can't attach filters to this camera because of the zoom lens. The adapter for the telephoto and wide-angle lens is not long enough to place filters on, because at full zoom, the lense extended past the farthest point of the adapter.

Some of the things I like:

I am really impressed with the shutter reaction speed, although I can only compare that to the Canon G2. Given that, they don't compare. The G2 takes almost a second to react. The 5700 seems instantaneous, although I've read it's about 1/10 of a second. Needless to say, it wasn't hard to impress me here.

I've only had the camera for two weeks and I'm still getting used to the User Settings. As someone mentioned, there's a learning curve. But I think that after I get accustomed to it, I'll really benefit from the customizability.

I also bought the telephoto and wide angle lens. They are great additions - especially the wide-angle.

The noise produced by long shutter speeds is much more acceptable than my G2. I've played a little with the Noise Reduction feature but I didn't notice much of a difference.

All that said, my biggest gripe is the manual focus. It would be nice to see a firmware upgrade that can enhance the feature somehow. To be fair, I've only had the camera for two weeks and I've been playing with digital photograpy for less than a year. I may find a way to master it - who knows.

Good luck on your purchase!
SysUs (Dan)
SysUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 11:29 AM   #6

SysUs:
I also agree with the battery issue that I didn't comment on. I use a Lithium Ion battery pack that I bought from thomas distributing, http://www.nimhbattery.com/maha-powerbank-li.htm The cost was $58.95. With this unit attached along with a fully charged Nikon battery, it is supposed to last 3-5 hours of continued use. I haven't tryed using it all day though. To attach filters you have to use an adapter from a third party source. Here is their website. http://members.rogers.com/nextphoto/order5700.htm I believe I am using the 52mm adapter for $25.00. You can only use them for attaching filters and not for accessory lenses. I have a UV filter on my camera. Hope this helps.

Glenn
Nikon 5700
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:47 AM   #7

Glenn -

Thanks for the tips on the battery pack and lens adapters. Very useful! I think I like the idea of the 72 mm adapter more because it attaches to the threads of the UR-E8 and not the "lens cap holding groove".

Besides the obvious - the filter will block the internal flash - are there any other disadvantages to choosing a 72 mm filter over a smaller one?

SysUs (Dan).

Canon G2
Nikon CoolPix 5700
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:23 AM   #8

I just compared shots from the Nikon 5700 at maximum optical zoom (8x or 280mm equiv.) with the Canon G3 at maximum optical zoom (4x or 140mm equiv.). Same settings. I was testing the theory that I could crop the Canon shots to get the same effective zoom as with the higher priced Nikon.

In fact, when I cropped Canon shots to the same size print as the Nikon pics, the Canon shots came out sharper and brighter. I'm assuming this is because of the Canon's 2.0 lens vs. the Nikon's 2.8.

Any thoughts :?:
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:05 PM   #9
NHL

What size print? 4x6 :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2003, 12:02 AM   #10

When shooting with any lens at maximum or minimum zoom, some type of degradation or other anomaly may occur. Since the CoolPix has a greater focal range, its images will probably show those anomalies more than lens with smaller focal ranges.

Granted, I'm new to photography and I'm only repeating what I think I've read... This may be the cause of the differences in sharpness between the two cameras.

I've also heard that the quality of Canon lenses are typically above those of the average popular brands.

I hope I'm not misleading here. Just going by what I think I've read in the past. If anyone finds my comments incorrect - please correct them!

SysUs (Dan)

Canon G2
Nikon CoolPix 5700