Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 8, 2002, 5:49 PM   #1

Default D100 vs 5700

Until the Coolpix 5700 was announced I was planning to buy the D100. Now I am leaning toward the 5700.

I've been using a Coolpix 990 and really like it. It has been a good introduction to digital photography. But recently I've been feeling its limitations. 3 megapixels doesn't always give me a good 8X10, especially if I do any cropping. I'd like to move to bigger prints. Also, the 3X lens is a limitation. The 2X and 3X add-on teleconverters work, but they are a pain.

So I had studied the D100 specifications and was planning to go to SLR. Now the 5700 comes out with what I want and need in a smaller package at probably half the price. (I wish Nikon would have announced the 5700's price.) The 8X lens on the 5700 will take care of 99% of my needs. I don't need extreme wide angle. The camera being completely sealed means that no dust will get on the CCD, a major concern for SLRs.

The feature list is very complele on the 5700. Am I missing something? Is there something major that the D100 will do that the 5700 can't?

I wish the 5700 had lens threads. A step-down adaptor is required inorder to use any filters. Maybe with digital post processing filters are less necessary, but I still like to use a polarizing filter on ocassion. Not something that can be dupilicated by Photoshop. All the recent CoolPixs have come without threads. A dumb move by Nikon.

What do you all think? I still own an 35mm SLR film camera (Pentax), but it hasn't gotten used in the last year. Should I go digital SLR or Coolpix 5700?

Thanks,

Gordon
olson99@earthlink.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2002, 1:50 PM   #2

Default d100 vs 5700

I have gone though the exact same thought process. I even currently have the 990. While I originally wanted the d100 because of the SLR lenses I now feel with the ED lens and the range I would prefer not to have to carry all the lens with me. Coupled with the weight this is now my first choice.
levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2002, 2:32 PM   #3

Default Nikon D100 Vs CP5700

I fully agree with you on the toss up. Like you I own the CP990 and passed on the CP995. $$$ and features will determine my choice.
tab1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2002, 5:35 PM   #4

If you really like the 990 and don't care about the 5700 shortcomings vs. a D100, then the 5700 is for you.

If you don't need or want to invest in additional lenses, then the 5700 is for you.

I'm on the list for the D100. I've got a 995. I think of it as a convenience toy camera. I have over $5k of Nikon lenses already. I loathe shutter lag and slow focus. I abhor marginal quality of zoom lenses at their minimum and maximum focal lengths. The last thing I want to do is stare through and Electronic View Finder, which is as unappealing as walking around staring at the 1.5" LCD screen. The D100 is right for me.
scorpio_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2002, 9:14 PM   #5

Thanks for all your replies.

The quality of the lens on the 990 does bother me at times. For most casual shots, one sees no problems. But if there are straight edges that aren't quite straight, it bothers me. Nikon is making a big deal about the 8X lens on the 5700. I hope that it lives up to expectations.

I have not yet used a camera with an electronic viewfinder. The reviews don't criticize this feature. What don't you like about it? It is SLR-type optics.

If I had $5000 worth of Nikon lenses, I wouldn't even consider the 5700. The D100 would be an obvious choice.
olson99@earthlink.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2002, 11:28 AM   #6

The electronic viewfinder (EVF) was deemed necessary due to the 8x zoom. It allows looking through the viewfinder and getting a "real" view of what the lens sees. But, alas, it is just a monitor. Walk around with your 990 while looking at your monitor. My eyes go buggy pretty quickly as the monitor lags behind your eyes ability to track. Not so much a problem when not moving the camera and just zooming. Shooting anything that moves will still be problematic.
scorpio_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2002, 3:22 AM   #7
JAW

I have the same problem - deciding between the D100 and 5700. The 5700 seems to do enough for my photographic needs, if the lens quality is "pro" standard. I am a little worried that the extensive zoom range will result in a loss of quality at one or both ends, even with the ED elements. Attach the converters and I wonder what will happen to the image quality then? Guess we will have to wait and see when the more extensive reviews come out. Otherwise, it's a D100 and a lot of money on lenses!
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2002, 9:23 AM   #8

>>The feature list is very complele on the 5700. Am I missing something? Is there something major that the D100 will do that the 5700 can't?

The review notes the 5700 lacks a manual (i.e., fly by wire) focus ring on the lens. That was a disappointment.
cyberbayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2002, 2:59 PM   #9

Default Here's something that differs...

...if you want to go further than be a P&S shooter,

and you decide you want a different perspective, or you want the background to blur more, or you've been shooting people pictures and now you want some really wide angle landscape shots (or the other way around)....

....the 5700 won't change. It will shoot the same way forever.

....with the D100 you can totally change the look and feel by using a different lens or type of lens (macro vs non, portrait vs high speed, etc).

Many people don't care. But if you do, you could be disappointed when you find the 5700 can't change its mind about photos at the same time you do.
Scotty B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2002, 1:02 AM   #10

IMHO, comparing the D100 to the 5700 is like comparing a F100 to a point and shoot. Admittedly, the 5700 is a very sophisticated P&S, but you'll never use a long telephoto or super wide angle on it, or extension tubes or countless other accessories. If you already have Nikon lenses then there is no question that you will want the D100. If you have no lenses and don't want to buy any, then get the 5700, but it will soon bore you...
Meanwhile, if you can't get a decent 8x10 out of a 995, you should look at other options, like a tripod, a good printer or learning how to use Photoshop or PS Elements or Paint Shop Pro etc. With an Epson 1270 printer I have routinely gotten crisp 8x10s from a Coolpix 900 (1Mp) and good 12x18s from a Canon S100 with 2Mp. Recently I have printed crisp 12x18s from a Canon G2 (4Mp) that are superior to the same size prints from a Nikon SLR with Provia-F film, scanned on a Nikon 4000ED. All I'm saying here is that it takes more than a camera to make a sharp photo! :-)
leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote