Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 6, 2006, 6:54 PM   #1

How the 7900 can compete with the A620 that got titles of "Excellence" in all reviews?
See for yourselves.
My full comparison test will be ready by the end of this week.
In the midtime you can check a couple of comparison shots in the following link:

http://www.coolpix7900.com/Gallery/t...s.php?album=15

Archangel_GT
Arxaggelos_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:09 AM   #2

I just compared the two pictures with the palm trees. Both cameras have some problems with the leaves of the palm trees. They are simply not sharpe enough. It looks like motion blur, but that is hardly possible. Having said that the CP 7900 is performing better there despite a slower shutter speed. On the bottom the A620 shows somewhat more detail or is a little bit sharper. On the other hand the A620 pic has almost twice the size (2546 versus 1326 kb) of the CP7900 pic. Otherwise both pics are very similar.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:57 PM   #3

If you are refering to the palm trees picture then both pictures are not similar.
The A620 has very noticeable softness left and right of the image and also has softness in the ground thus loosing much detail.
Talking about sharpness of the palm trees then no tree that can look that sharp from that distance even though the 7900 shows the palms sharper.
The A620 picture is at 7MP Highest Quality while the 7900 is at 7MP Normal Quality.
There are other serious problems with the A620 that will be all visible by the end of this week when I will upload all images in different lighting situations.
Also in all these pictures posted so far there is not even one picture that the A620 is sharper than the 7900 (unless you mean that the A620 images are sharper in the middle and softer around the 4 sides) and also in all other pictures the A620 also exhibits very noticeable softness on the left and right side of the image.

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
I just compared the two pictures with the palm trees. Both cameras have some problems with the leaves of the palm trees. They are simply not sharpe enough. It looks like motion blur, but that is hardly possible. Having said that the CP 7900 is performing better there despite a slower shutter speed. On the bottom the A620 shows somewhat more detail or is a little bit sharper. On the other hand the A620 pic has almost twice the size (2546 versus 1326 kb) of the CP7900 pic. Otherwise both pics are very similar.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 6:44 AM   #4

I made crops (without recompression) of roughly the same area of both pics. Here is the crop from the CP 7900 pic.
Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2006, 6:54 AM   #5

... and here the crop from the A620 pic. For me the judgement is clear. As noted earlier the difference may be due to stronger compression of the Nikon picture. Also the Nikon picture in contrast to the Canon picture has visible shadow noise (I may provide crops as well). The poor performance of both cameras as far as the palm leaves are concerned, may apply to all green/blue contrasts and may not even be camera specific. It may be due to the fact that there are twice as many green pixels as there are blue pixels and the primitive in camera demosaicing may simply work poorly in such a situation. Nevertheless the Nikon is slightly better here.

Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:18 PM   #6

First of all, nobody prints a crop but an entire picture.
So crops don't mean anything (apart from ISO noise and not even that) and is a mistaken belief (always speaking according to my opinion of course).
Also I can make crops from different areas in picture that show exactly the opposite.
It depends where you do cropping.
If we speak of a picture as a whole then the 7900 is a much more balanced camera with even sharpness in the entire picture and not sharp in the middle and soft around like the A620.
Personally to me the A620 remindes me a 4MP camera since only the center looks very good while the rest of the pictures exhibits sometimes so much softness that looks completely out of focus and of course the A620 has a specific focus problem that will be seen in the upcoming pictures.
Yes the the 7900 has more visible noise in shadowed areas but that happens only in ISO 50. In all different ISO's the A620 has more noise than the 7900 (also will be seen in upcoming pictures).
But before you come into your final conclusions I think you should wait a 2-3 more days that I will upload 30-40 pictures from each camera under all kinds of different conditions and then you can conclude of course better.
And of course 30-40 pictures show much more each camera's capabilities than a few usually posted on website reviews.