Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 24, 2003, 10:44 PM   #1

Default Occasional picture loss on both 4500 and 950

I am hoping someone out there knows what I am talking about and how to help me! I have owned 2 models of Coolpix. This has happened now and then with both models. Here is the scenario...I take a series of pictures. I can review them on the camera. BUT, when I remove the card to download to my PC (I use a card reader), the images are simply gone. The number of available pictures left on the card (displayed on the camera) still shows as if the pictures are there yet they are not. It is VERY frustrating to take pictures then have them simply disappear. Nikon was unable to help me with this problem...they just did not know. Has anyone out there had this same problem? Thank you!
ttkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2003, 11:42 PM   #2

Often the problem is that you didn't wait for the picture to be completely written to the CF before turning off the camera. I don't know enough about the CP4500 or CP950 to know if the picture must be written to the CF before you can browse them from the camera (i.e. that the browsing you do by definition rules this out) but I've heard stories of "lost pictures" before and that was the problem.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2003, 8:03 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that would make sense if only 1 picture were being lost each time. However, an entire series of pictures is being lost when this happens to me. For example, I have 15 pictures on the card. I go outside and take a series of 10 pictures of my kids playing or whatever. When I come back inside to view them on my pc, only the original 15 pictures are on the card with no trace of the newest 10 EXCEPT for the "pictures remaining" counter on the camera which says they were taken. Extremely upsetting! Any more ideas? Thank you!
Old Mar 25, 2003, 8:16 AM   #4

Did you try a different card? Or are you using the pc to remove the old pix from your card? I would try a 2nd card or just reformat that one in the camera. I have had trouble when i would remove pix off the card in the pc. Hope this will help :idea:
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2003, 12:00 PM   #5

Yes, I have used 2 different cards thinking maybe 1 was defective in spots but it didn't seem to make a difference. I will reformat...maybe I'm not doing that enough. Thank you!
Old Mar 27, 2003, 2:45 PM   #6

I have had this problem with my 5700.
When I changed CF cards the problem went away.
fredh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 4:22 PM   #7

Sometimes I have to 'eject' the card electronically on my card reader before it'll read any updates on it...
Harbortronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 6:02 AM   #8

If it's not down to the card then it must be the card reader. The 4500 will not let you power of untill the image is written away so I don't think that's the problem.

I use a PCMCIA card slot for transfering pictures from my CP4500 to my PC and that works fine. If your PC (or your printer) has that option then give that a try.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote