Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:58 PM   #1

Hello All,

Quite intrigued by this forum. I'll have to rip myself away from it as there is a lot of good information here.

I have looked across a post of the 990 service manual. I have searched (though briefly) on this forum and couldn't yet find information as to the whereabouts of the back up battery in the 995. I believe it to be in the CF side but not sure. I'd rather not disturb anything if I don't have to. Although I did find two ribbon cables that needed cleaned up.

Does anyone know where the back up battery is? I am constantly having to set the date on this unit.

Thanks, jeff
saabaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:44 AM   #2
Administrator

I don't. But, it's not necessarily a battery either. Some models may use a capacitor instead.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:16 PM   #3

Thanks. Perhaps I'm gettin older.....not (too much on my noggin).

I didn't even think about that. But then due to the characteristics of the difficulties I maybe dismissed the idea early on. In my electrical travels, I've not replaced too many of the highvalued caps for memory purposes. I believe all that I've done had been from heat related problems. I'll take a look though, but I'm still not fond of going in areas unnecessarily.

Thanks, jeff
Old Mar 30, 2006, 4:08 PM   #4

The back up battery in the 995 is on the middle of the 3 circuit boards. If you are brave enough to take the camera to pieces (not too difficult but be careful not to rip the 2 ribbon cables) just undo all the philips screws you can see noting where they come from. Also be wary of a charged flash capacitor but that is in the lens housing so you should not have any problems. the battery holds a charge for a short time to allow you to change the main battery without having to reset time etc but won't last long. You have to give it time to recharge if you've had the main battery out for a long time.
digimaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 4:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. So the battery is sandwiched? I did go the whole nine yards a little later on but must have overlooked this or was too intent on looking for a typical light-green nichicon .1f cap.I will venture back into this unit with careful hands long after the 8-to-5 so as to reduce the nerves. Disassembly was not at all bad.

Much appreciation for the info!

jeff
Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:23 AM   #6

FYI:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=21

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 8:31 AM   #7

i live in pakistan... and recently i bought coolpix camera in Just US$50, brandnew, untouch condition, i think it's oldstock peice. everything working fine, but i have same clock/seetings reset problem in coolpix 950 and i also try to leave new batteries in camera almost 2 days and i also connect external adaptor for 24 hours but not any success, i think clock backup capacitor is expire or dead. i also download the coolpix950 service manual, but i can't find the exact location of capacitor in camera.

so i request.... anyone please show me the picture of capacitor how it look like and tell me the location of that rechargeable capacitor or battery which keeps the clock-calender and camera settings in coolpix950. so i will change it easly.

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...pix%20950.html <--- download cp950 service manual.

Thanks and best regards
Kashif Hussain
Karachi- Pakistan
Reply Email:- [email protected]
digitaleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 8:43 AM   #8

digitaleye wrote:
Quote:
... coolpix camera in Just US$50, brandnew, untouch condition, ...
excelent deal
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:51 PM   #9

I just bought a 995 for $25 bucks! I wanted an upgrade to my 950 which I love. I too am hating the date changing problem. With the 950 I could charge my batteries with a fast charger and never have had to reset the clock. How long does it take to charge the internal camera battery? Perhaps a spare battery would be an easy option.
John
Sloober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 4:57 PM   #10
Administrator

Sloober

Welcome to the forums. It looks like you had to go back a ways (2006 thread) to find info about the 995. ;-)

I still have a Coolpix 950, and I used to have a Coolpix 990. I skipped the 995, so I don't know much about it's internal battery life. But, for $25, I'd just set the correct date/time yourself when swapping the batteries. lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote