Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 1, 2003, 5:52 PM   #1

Default Red/Pink pixels from cp5700

Hello all

i have had a cp5700 since 7/02.

recently, i have noticed a red to pink spot in the same place on my pictures.

intensity of the spot varying, i.e. pink on lighter background, and intensely pink on darker background.

what is this, and how do i get rid of it

thanks in advance

john g
vnjgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2003, 12:47 PM   #2

Default Red spots...

I had a nikon 995 and later a nikon 5700, and like yours, I had the same problem on both, and I discover that it was the sensor of the camera "CCD" that it is damaged forever, and the only way to get rid of the spots it is with software, like photoshop clone tool or the healing brush. And if you look closer to your pictures with long exposures at night, those that you took when there was a little light, also you will notice green spots on your picture. I guess that it is part of the price digital format on some brands of cameras like nikon, I hope they can fix the problem with the next generation of cameras, because it is extra time that the user need to invest to get the perfect picture!!!
jcarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 5:06 PM   #3

jcarq

thanks for your reply, i got an email from nikon usa to send the camera in for repairs.

john g
Old Apr 4, 2003, 11:46 AM   #4

Default One question J. Garcia....

I travel a lot to Mexico, and I discover the red/pink dots on my pictures after a travel I did, and after I analize my pictures before the trip, the dot was difficult to notice, after the trip the dot was more easeier to see it, and I have been thinking since then if it is possible that the scanners on the air port with X rays can damage the sensor. I have no idea, but that is one expanation to the damaged sensor that I have. On the other hand, on the airport there are signs that say no damage to electronic equipment and I dont know if I can trust the sign or no. Now I have a nikon D100, with no red or pik dots, and last week was my first travel, I came back and no signs of red or pink dots. My question is: Did you went thru the air port with your camera?, can you check your pictures before and after if you did?

Thanks Carlos
jcarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 8:34 AM   #5

I have been through the xray machines with the camera, I haven't noticed a change correlating to this.

I tried the bandaid fix in photoshop, with good results.

thanks
john g
Old Apr 5, 2003, 8:42 PM   #6

All digital camera will develop hotpixels over time. Generally they are worst at slow shutter speeds (below 1/30s), and under hotter temperatures. They also tend to be most apparent after the camera has been used for prolonged periods of time. If you took an 8 sec exposure with no noise reduction you would probably see some if not many. I know some nikons have a NR feauture which will eliminate the noise below 1/30sec. If they appear at speeds faster than this you have three options. 1) edit them out using photoshop or some other image editing program. 2) send your camera back in to nikon to get the ccd remapped (this is what I did with my 5700), or 3) try this program available at http://e2500.narod.ru/ccd_defect_e.htm it is supposed to remap the camera for you using nikons subroutines that are already present in the camera. Many people on the dpreview forum have used this with great results. Use the last option at your own risk, however, because I am unsure whether it would violate your warrenty (supposedly nikon wouldnt be able to tell that this was used, but I am not sure).
Jordan_Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote