Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 4, 2003, 8:04 PM   #1

Default Nikon Coolpix 2100/3100 vs. Canon PS A70

I took two CF cards to Best Buy today and shot pictures of my son using the Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2mp) and 3100 (3mp) as well as with the Canon PowerShot A70.

I've been hot on the trail to get the PS A70 but my first impression with the Nikon pictures was great. The pictures seem sharper with the 2100/3100 than with the A70. The colors a little more vivid.

Now I'm having second thoughts about the A70. I may have to go again with my wife and take some more pictures...

Aubrey
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2003, 2:36 PM   #2

I have over a 1000 pix on my 3100(see other post) i think its a lot better than the a70. Much more sharp and better color.
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 3:09 AM   #3

Aubrey:

I replaced a defective Canon PS A40 (predessor of the A60/70) with a Nikon CP3100. The pics in the CP3100 are definitely better (sharper, truer colors) than the A40. Considering the problems I have had with Canon NOT properly repairing the A40 (2 failed attempts, total time now over 3 months), I would go with the Nikon.

Good luck,

Steve
srhaymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 6:19 PM   #4

I compared them last week and the canon is heavy as lead compared to the 3100 :lol:
ron2368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 2:07 PM   #5

Default Another question on the Nikon 3100

Thanks to all who answered. The thing that's holding me back is the issue I keep reading of the 3100's performance on low light because it doesn' t have an AF lamp. How has the experience been for you under low light?

Another thing I like about the 3100 is that it can use an external flash, if I'm not mistaken.

Aubrey
Old Apr 17, 2003, 10:10 PM   #6

^bump.

Just wondering how the experience has been for those who take low light or night pictures with the CP 3100.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 10:39 PM   #7

I have the Coolpix 4300 which suffers from low light focusing as well. I think all of the CP's below at least the 4500 have this problem. Anyway, with my camera, focusing does not seem to be a problem at night if the lights are on in the house and I'm not taking a picture in a dark corner. If the lights are very low (like at a party maybe) then focus tends to be problematic. Sometimes I can overcome the focus problem by zooming out or recomposing the picture. I don't have any experience with outside night pictures yet.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2003, 8:48 AM   #8

I purchased the 3100, Kodak 4330 and the Sony P-72 to compare performance and picture quality.

So far, I think the Nikon blows the other cameras away when it comes to sharpness and detail. The problem I have is its performance in low light. I have found that if it has descent light then the pictures are nice and sharp but they are very dark. If it is low light, then they are blurry altogether.

It's a shame because I would love to keep the camera but I don't know if I can take the dark pictures.

The Kodak and the Sony performed very well in low light, especially the Sony. One thing to note is that I take all my pictures with the auto setting.
Salvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2003, 3:28 PM   #9

Salvin, thanks for the info.

One thing, from which retailer did you buy the cameras? Are you able to return the ones you don't want? Just curious.

Aubrey
Old Apr 18, 2003, 5:45 PM   #10

I bought the Nikon and the Sony from Circuit City. Circuit City says you can try it out and return it with all original packaging for a full refund if it is within 14 days (for computer items).

I have returned the Nikon already and they refunded my money, no problems. I still may buy the Nikon but if I do I am going to purchase it through one of our vendors I work with (much cheaper), they just can't guarantee a return (unless defective) so I have to be absolutely sure the camera I buy from them is what I want for my final purchase.

I purchased the Kodak from Dell which has a good return policy also.
Salvin is offline   Reply With Quote