Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 5, 2003, 12:56 PM   #1

Default Nikon and the batteries.......

Steve,
do you see any hope that Nikon would return to the "civilzed",
rechargeable batteries? Today we have them alredy with 2000mA capacity, and they are surely more convenient than those special, proprietary ones. That is one thing which is stopping me buying a D100 also.

Thanks,
Istvan :?:
steveik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2003, 2:50 PM   #2
NHL

... Admitting that they've made a mistake since the 990? No way... :P

Quote:
That is one thing which is stopping me buying a D100 also.
...There's always the S2 with the AA(2100mAh now!) capability and the firewire port :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 5:26 AM   #3

My CoolPix 995 has been a constant source of irritation since I bought it for this very reason. I am in the process of figuring out which competitor's camera I am going to replace it with.

The three things I hate about the Nikon proprietary battery system:

1. They are expensive and make using my camera a more costly endeavor as I go on trips and need backups.

2. I cannot put a cheap set of alkalines in it for storage. Why is this important? I can easily go a month without using my camera, the Nikon EL battery is dead by then. So unless I make an effort to recharge my batteries every three weeks, I cannot just pull my camera out to snap a pic of something happening on the spur of the moment. This has been a huge inconvenience.

3. I am forced to use their proprietary charger. Instead of the most excellent AA charger I got from RipVan100, I have to use their less compact, messy system. The RipVan100 one is just a cigarette pack sized box with flip out prongs. For travelling, that is so much more convenient than a wall wart, charger, and cord. Add in the fact that I have other AA devices that I already bring the AA recharger for, and one can see that the proprietary Nikon system is actually adding a whole new charger (extra weight and space) that I need to carry along.

Buying the 995 was a mistake on my part. I won't buy another Nikon until they go back to AA batteries.

I would urge camera companies to go one step further and stop including NiMH batteries and rechargers with their cameras. I would much rather save $20 on the camera and be able to choose my own recharger system that works best for me (which for most of us, means using the one we've already bought and not wasting money on another charger.)
CloseUpReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 8:47 AM   #4
NHL

Quote:
I would urge camera companies to go one step further and stop including NiMH batteries and rechargers with their cameras. I would much rather save $20 on the camera and be able to choose my own recharger system that works best for me (which for most of us, means using the one we've already bought and not wasting money on another charger.)
... This is the most brilliant idea yet!

Or $20 worth of extra features on the same camera is a better ROI. Beside when will theses companies understand that sharing batteries (and CF flash cards) are very important when family travels together? ie they own more than 1 camera usually.

Think about what people have to put up with already: charger for video camera, chargers for cell phones, charger for laptop... A suitcase worth of chargers!!! ops: ops: ops:
Old Apr 6, 2003, 4:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Beside when will theses companies understand that sharing batteries (and CF flash cards) are very important when family travels together? ie they own more than 1 camera usually.
And even if they don't own more than 1 camera, flash cards and especially batteries are shared across different devices a lot too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Think about what people have to put up with already: charger for video camera, chargers for cell phones, charger for laptop... A suitcase worth of chargers!!! ops: ops: ops:
Exactly! At least if they stick to AA whenever possible, we can eliminate some of them.

I wonder what the feasibility of a laptop running on a row of 2000mAh AA batteries would be? I used to think it ludicrous until I found that my old Nikon 950 could take more pictures with my rechargeable NiMH AA batts than my 995 could with the LithiumIon special Nikon battery. If I had to add an extra pound of batteries for AA to equal the normal laptop battery, I would do it in a heartbeat.
CloseUpReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 11:41 AM   #6

I feel your pains, but there's no point in mucking around in this conversation.

companies make money not on the orginal equipment, but rather on the extras that they can sell you.

take the copier for an example. it's not the copier that they make the most money on when they sell, lease, or give the thing to you. the money is made in the special toner cartridges that holds the toner that they sell you. also, the paper that they sell you.

take the color printers that you print your custom photos on. It's not the printer they sell you they make their money on. it's those $25 - $40 cartridges they sell you that seem to last only 25 or so prints. also, the special photo paper that they sell you.

yes...as for those EN-EL1 lithium ion batteries...they don't last very long. worse if you're running a microdrive with it.
pixrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 3:48 PM   #7

I just recently got Nikon's latest camera the 2100 and they use unproprietary Nimh rechargeable batteries. Hopefully this is a trend that Nikon continues on.

Peace...

Shiggy
shiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 5:22 PM   #8
NHL

The 3100 too, but now they seem to go overboard... two cells are not enough! Minimum should be 4 cells, the camera is cute, but boys do they eat batteries with just 2 cells :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW 2xAA compatible rechargeable CR-V3's are coming!
Old Apr 7, 2003, 9:35 PM   #9

Yeah, I bought four Radio Shack 1800 rated nimh batteries and the nikon 2100 sucks two of them dry in no time. Fortunately I always keep two of them charged . Otherwise I am extremely happy with the camera. NHL, do you think adding room for two more batteries in the camera would increase the size that much?

Peace...

Shiggy
shiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 6:50 AM   #10

Default Batteries

My D 100 does not eat batteries like my 5700. I have been amased how the batteries keep lasting. I have only had the camera a couple of months and have only rechared the batteries twice. Nikon should use the same technology with the 5700.

Murray
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote