Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 6, 2003, 10:29 AM   #1

Default Did I make a mistake in ordering the pro package Nikon 5700

I have two issues of consumer reports. One recommened the Sony f717 the most recent one recommended the Nikon's 5700. Consumer reports rated the Nikon's 5700 better. This will be my first digital camera that I have purchased and was hoping for quality one.

A few days ago I orderd the Pro package Nikon 5700 from 47th st.
I should be getting it this coming Wed. Question: Did I make the right choice? How difficult is doing the Firmware udate? I cannot believe I ordered a camera that I now have to update. I use my camera for close ups and long distance shooting. But adding this firmware bothers me. Please respond ASAP. I will need to make a choice of returning for credit on another camera or not.
Mango34
[email protected]
Mango34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2003, 10:47 AM   #2

Many people are very happy with the 5700. It took good pictures before the firmware update, and it will take good ones afterwards. I do not have either of those camers, but I cam very close to getting a 5700 in a "too good to resist" deal, so I researching it quite a bit. It is a very nice camera, with a few downsides.

It is annoying that you can't upgrade the firmware yourself (why Nikon chose to do this I don't understand.) But, to me, it isn't a reason to reject the camera. You will upgrade the firmware (hopefully) only a few times in its life. Yes it's annoying, but unless you *must* have the camera all the time this shouldn't be a deal breaker.

As to the Pro package in your subject line, could you supply a link to what you got? That would be the best way to evaluate what it includes and if you were taken. At the same time, could you say how you expect to use the camera (Macro? Portrates? Landscapes? Navel Lint? Indoors? Outdoors? Action?) that will help us render more accurate information.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 10:58 AM   #3

Default How I plan to use the Nikon 5700

I plan on shooting a varity of items. Close ups of toys, long distance landscapes or my family, Jewelry that I make.
I have used a Minolta for over 13 years, with telephoto lens or micro. I am used to filming with it. However, My family says it is time to become of the digital age.

The camera was purchased a few days ago from 47th photo in New York. I purchase my Minolta their and was happy with their service.

Yes, it is the money, but my concern is the update for the firmware..How difficult is it...Is the time and engery worth doing or should I get the Sony F717
Thanks
Mango34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 11:09 AM   #4

firmware updates should not bother you at all. they are either there to fix or improve the operation of the camera. they are extremely easy to do.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 12:53 PM   #5

basically all you do to update the firmware is download the file from nikons site to th compact flash card which can then be used to update the camera. Details on nikons homepage.
Jordan_Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 10:42 PM   #6

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure it'll be a great camera. While I've had no experience with this model, I have a Coolpix 4300 which I have upgrade the firmware on. It was a piece of cake. The directions were very simple to follow, but basically all you had to do was dowload it, copy it to a formatted flash card, and turn the camera on in setup mode.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 11:00 PM   #7

sjms

Ahh. So the 5700 is user upgradeable. Not all Nikon cameras are. Good, maybe they are finally wiseing up a bit.

Mango34
Assuming they give you quality teleconverter and macro lenses, you should be all set. The 5700 should be able to do all that you list. I thought the 5700 had a macro mode, but I could be wrong. So you might be able to do what you want without some macro lens attachment. I know the other CoolPix cameras do (and many here have spoken well of their ability to do it.)

47st photo has a good rating on www.resellerratings.com. I seem to remember some people not liking them in dpreview.com's forums. And a semi-pro photographer friend isn't thrilled with them. So I'd say its hit-or-miss with them.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 5:41 AM   #8

Coolpix cameras are tops for macros and don't require anything to do it. The 5700 comes with an 8x lense, so you may decide you don't need a telephoto. (I shoot lots of landscapes and the 5700 has all I need).
TheeBadOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 11:20 AM   #9

Default Re: Did I make a mistake in ordering the pro package Nikon 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango34
A few days ago I orderd the Pro package Nikon 5700 from 47th st.
I should be getting it this coming Wed. Question: Did I make the right choice? How difficult is doing the Firmware udate? I cannot believe I ordered a camera that I now have to update.
Mango34
[email protected]
unless for some reason the shop you're buying from has an old batch of cameras with the v1.0 firmware, my wild guess is that the new camera will have a firmware version of 1.1. i've had mine for a week now from US1 CAMERA and it has the v1.1 firmware in it. if there was any low light focusing problems, i certainly haven't noticed anything from the new v1.1 firmware (based on 25w flourescent bulb in room). ok...to be totally fair, it does have a hard time focusing when it's really dark....but, the flash has always popped up and compensated for things (providing you leave the flash set to auto in your shooting setup). the great thing about the flash is that it syncs up to 1/2000 sec. the camera rocks and you won't regret it. ok, to be totally fair, it does have a slight problem with action shots, but I think it's mostly my inexperience with action shots that's the problem.

not to knock your buying decision or anything, but why the pro-pack?
pixrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 2:47 PM   #10

I'm not sure what the pro package entails but I own the 5700 since last october and love the camera.
It has a higher learning curve than most but once you learn to use the camera, it is great. I set the camera to manual mode alot. You have better control. It can easily be used in the auto mode also. The only thing I don't like about the camera is difficulty in low light, the battery drains easily, and the manual focus ring is awkward. Otherwise color saturation and picture quality is excellent. 8X is great also. I still haven't upgraded the firmware. I heard it really doesn't improve the cameras ability all that much.

Glenn
Nikon 5700
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote