Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:05 AM   #1

Sorry, the heading should say optical ZOOM question!!

Hello all,

I have a Coolpix 4300 connected to my microscope. When it was initially set up, the optical focus was set and fixed so that I did not have to adjust the zoom every time I turned on the camera. Now, every time I turn the camera on, the zoom is at the widest setting necessitating zooming in some to fill the frame. Does anyone know how to "fix" the optical zoom again so it will stay at the same setting when turned on??

Thanks,

William

Pathologymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2006, 8:23 PM   #2

Do you mean that you were able to turn the camera power off with the power switch and then turn it back on and still have the lens at the zoom setting and focus that you had set before you turned it off? If you could do that, I'd be interested in how you managed it. Usually, when you turn the camera power off, the lens retracts into the body, and when you turn it on again, the lens powers out to its default "start" position which is at the widest angle of view. The only way that I can see that you could have the camera turn off at something other than its starting "home" position and come back on at the same position would be if you let it enter sleep mode where the camera effectively powers down but leaves the lens in the same position. Then, when you wake it up by pushing the shutter release halfway down, it powers back up with everthing just the way you left it.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:28 AM   #3

Hello Grant, thanks for your reply.

I don't know how he did it, but one of my adept residents set up the camera for me, and for better than 18 months, I never had to touch the zoom setting. When I powered the camera on, the zoom was at the "preset" position. The focus is set to manual and infinity, that was easy. I definitely powered the camera down after use. The brilliant resident who set up the camera is gone, and I am trying to get in touch with him to see if he remembers what he did! I wrote to Nikon but got no reply. The camera manual addresses some "remembered" settings but not zoom. Like you, it doesn't appear to be possible, but somehow it worked. May be a fluke! If I find out anything I will post it--

Thanks,

William

Pathologymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:50 PM   #4

I might be wrong on this, but I think that when you let a camera go into sleep mode, it's as good as off as far as power usage goes. You could possibly just let the camera go to sleep to retain the zoom setting and only turn it off through the power switch when the batteries need replacing. The power usage question in sleep mode might be an interesting question for Nikon. The answer might be simple enough to research that they might actually answer you. If not, a post of that question in the General Questions area of this site would produce responses for sure.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote