Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 7, 2002, 11:34 PM   #1

Default Nikon 5700 vs Minolta Dimage 7i battery consumtion ?????

I hear the Dimage eats batteries fairly quick. Is the 5700 going to be the same or does anyone know yet?

Thanks
DWalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2002, 11:58 PM   #2

Default Macro on Minolta 7i vs Nikon 5700

I see that there is a difference in distances on the macro focus. How critical it that? Will this cause much difference in the quality?
DWalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2002, 6:28 AM   #3
NHL

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...ad.php?tid=144

You'll be the judge: 1850 mAh from the included NiMh AA rechargeable battery or the 650 mAh from the EN-EL1? Try to run with a microdrive and you'll see that the D7(i)'ll outlast the 5700! ... and once the battery runs out can you run to the nearest Walmart/Target?

The macro can be set at both tele and wide, and @ the tele setting one does not need to get that close, while the wide setting get one's the depth of field.

[Edited on 7-8-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2002, 11:34 PM   #4

Just for Ha Has.

The D7i uses 4 NiMh AAs & the EN- EL1 pack has 6 NiMh proprietary cells. The actual power of the power source is:

1.225 x 4 x 1.8 = 8.82 wH for the 4 AAs
1.225 x 6 x .65 = 4.78 wH for the EN-EL1

This shows available power to be about a bit less than double for the D7i but this doesnt take into account differences in the efficiencies of the cameras. If you go to a list of specifications you get no help. The Nikon lists time & the Minolta lists quantity of shots & playback time.

The one obvious advantage (to me) is the use of AAs. No doubt about it, you can go to a local store in a pinch.

After all that, Im waiting for reviews on the production versions of the 4500 & 5700. Im sure its going to be one of these that I end up with. I like the MACRO range & size of the cameras. I also just so happen to have Nikormat & Minolta 3000i film cameras. I feel the Nikon optics are better & I think they still are.
jhhlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2002, 12:02 AM   #5
NHL

jhhlive

Correction: The EN-EL1 is a proprietary 650mAh LiIon, and only one can be fitted to the camera...(same issue with the 5000)

What you are referring to is the optional MB5700 battery grip (another $100+ accessory) that can be loaded with six AA niMh cells. You need to figure in this cost as well if you plan on using the AAs. The 5700 is no D100 or D60 where two (2) LiIon can be fitted in the grip !

Ain't no way you can fit six of this in the 5700...
and This is the 5000 version

[Edited on 7-12-2002 by NHL]
Old Jul 12, 2002, 12:57 AM   #6
NHL

jhhlive

Sorry, I misread your post, but your power calculation is accurate... Don't forget that unlike the 5000, the 5700 now sports an EVF just like the D7 but unlike the Minolta, it carries the extra penalty of powered zoom (I guess both have power focus even though you can twist the focusing ring manually on the D7i)

However if you left the camera efficiency aside, but take the microdrive power consumption into account (same for both camera) then the Nikon 650mAh rating looks pretty anemic considering the microdrive average about 200-250 mA!

Also for laugh...(based on your computation) two LiIons equal to four NiMh AA @ 6 time the cost !!!

Old Jul 12, 2002, 12:44 PM   #7

Default AA's vs EN-EL1

I've been reading this topic with interest as I recently ordered a Nikon 4500 as a replacement for my Nikon 950. I use Nimh AA's with the 950 and the 4500 uses the li-ion en-el1 battery.

Its a more complicated issue than just looking at the mah rating of the AA Nimh and the li-ion. All digital cameras shut down when the voltage drops below a certain level even if there are lots of mah's left in the cell. I wonder which technology is better at fully utilizing its full charge. Since almost all high end notebooks use the li-ion technology instead of nimh there must be more to this than meets the eye.

In order to do a fair test, you would have to have two people and both cameras with fully charged batteries and do a side by side test, shooting the same number of shots under the same conditions. This would take into account the efficiencies of each camera as well as the battery packs.

One advantage of the Lithium over the Nimh is the self-discharge rate. Nimh batteries loose betweet 2-3% of their charge per day sitting at room temperature. The Lithium batteries lose about 10% per month! Lithium batteries are also better suited for gauging the amount of charge left so when your camera says that the batteries are 50%, you can bet that you have lots of shooting left. With the nimh on the 950, it would show 100% charge right up until the time when the batteries would drop below the required voltage. In a week or two Ill know for sure if this old tried and true nimh fan can be converted to the li-ion camp.
tmurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2002, 2:27 PM   #8
NHL

The reason the battery indicators are of no-use with NiMh cells is that their voltage remain pretty constant around 1.2V throughout their discharge curve, unlike alkaline or manganese that have a wide fluctuation (1.6-0.8V). LiIon cell's voltage also remain pretty constant as well, and manufacturers prefer them because they can be packed in tighter package, and can design their own proprietary charger around the battery foot-print. Both LiIon and NiMh will die abruptly, and manufacturer has been incorporating monitoring circuit inside the batteries with various sucess and failure (Infolithium is a notable example when they go out of whack).

NiMh is now getting very popular and just like VHS tapes demand will drive both prices down and power capacity up (1800mAh now for $11.99 at Walmart). Wait till theses babies are released, and pretty much one can say goodbye to 'Infolithium' as well as other proprietary battery types !!! Personally I only pick camera that use AA's and CF (for the microdrive). Think about it, in a few years swapping flash cards is as lame as swapping floppies disks as the camera goes to the 10Mpixels or so ...
Old Jul 16, 2002, 1:38 PM   #9

Default followup, nimh vs en-el1

I received my coolpix 4500 on Saturday. As noted in my earlier post, I too was very concerned about the limited mah's of the en-el1 battery, especially when compared to the AA nimhs used in my coolpix 950.

After the second discharge/charge of the battery, I was able to shoot 98 shots, about half with the flash over the course of one evening using the en-el1 battery.

If the 5700 is as effecient as the 4500, 100 shots doesn't seem too bad. For me, I can probably sneak by on just two batteries for most outings. I have seen two after market batteries, one at 700 mah and another at 800 mah. I ordered a 700 mah battery from

http://www.nimhbattery.com/maha_lith...chargeable.htm

The 800 mah battery source is

http://www.batterybarn.com/enel1.htm

but I have not had any experience with that company that makes the 800 mah battery so I went with nimhbattery.com.

I sure wish that Nikon would have stayed with the AA's. They provide a lot of power, and the the batteries are so cheap, that its easy to have lots of spare sets and chargers. Since the 950 is only slightly larger than the 4500, I find it hard to believe that they could not have designed the same camera around AA's.

On another note, the battery guage on the 4500 is only slightly better than the one on the 950. In my test run, the battery indicator came on after 65 shots. I was able to shoot about 30 more before the camera shut down.

I hope this info helps. Of course, your mileage may vary.

:>)

[Edited on 7-17-2002 by tmurrell]
tmurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2002, 2:00 PM   #10
NHL

Me too...

Especially when travelling, would it be nice if only one battery type or charger are needed (or CF flash)? My son now sports the hand me down 990, and we both share the same batteries...