Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 17, 2006, 7:00 AM   #1

Hi all

ive been looking for a prosumer digicam that i will be using in a underwater housingand have heard good things about the coolpix 8400 .

i see that this model has been out for a while , is there any rumors of a replacement , perhaps with a bigger lcd screen ?

also does anyone know of any faults with this model?

thanks for your help

ozematt

ozematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Administrator

Unfortunately Nikon, Canon, Olympusand others that make dSLR cameras are now killing off their prosumer digicams because they would steal marketshare for their dSLR cameras. The Coolpix 8400, 8800, Canon Pro1, Olympus C-8080are pretty much history as they were "stop gap" models until the price of dSLR cameras fell to their current sub-$1000 level. I don't think we'll see any new prosumer fixed lens cameras being produced
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 6:42 PM   #3

Steve,**You really do believe that the Coolpix 8400 is a stopgap camera and has been discontinued without a replacement in the pipeline?* This camera befits my shooting style wonderfully however I've been waiting for the successor of the 8400 to come out.* Is my waiting in vain?* I currently use a coolpix 5000 for my shooting uses however I've lately am pushed up against the limitations of my camera.* I shoot mostly landscapes, street and nudes.* I very much like the option of having an articulated LCD to frame my shots.* I've been waiting for dSLRs or similar to come out with a preview option and an articulated LCD.* *I know that the olympus evolt e-330 has this option.* What camera do you reccomend is a worthy successor to the CP 5000?* Should I spring for an 8400 before it disappears from the* marketplace?* Or the Evolt e-330?* My favorite time to shoot is within two hours of sunset to use ambient light and I use mostly available light in my shoots with very little flash to soften hard shadows.* The 5000 fares poorly in low light ambient situations with models, the autofocus continually searches for focus no matter how i tweak the settings manually.* It's a great camera for long exposure night shoots.* What camera should suit my shooting style?* I am looking forward to hearing from you?*Jonathansteve wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately Nikon, Canon, Olympus*and others that make dSLR cameras are now killing off their prosumer digicams because they would steal marketshare for their dSLR cameras.* The Coolpix 8400, 8800, Canon Pro1, Olympus C-8080*are pretty much history as they were "stop gap" models until the price of dSLR cameras fell to their current sub-$1000 level.* I don't think we'll see any new prosumer fixed lens cameras being produced
paperbackhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 11:09 AM   #4
Administrator

There have been quotes in industry news sources from the camera companies regarding the fixed lens prosumer models and it isn't good. Notice there is no replacement for Canon's Pro 1, it has been around since very early 2004, they have even effectively killed off their G series as well - both due to the popularity of theDigital Rebel SLR. Nikon is doing the same thing with their high-end fixed lens cameras due to the lower cost D50 and D70s SLR models.

We will see basically 3 levels of digital cameras in the future: (1) cellphone cameras, (2) 5-10 megapixel consumer cameras with a top price of ~$400 and (3) digital SLR cameras starting at $500.

The digital SLR market is hot and iswhere the manufacturers are makingtheir best money, the low end is brutal as evidenced bythe number of companies that have already dropped out (Agfa, Kyocera, Konica Minolta, Toshiba) with more undoubtedly coming. This is why Panasonic and Sony haveentered the dSLR gamealong with Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Pentax.

If you want a Coolpix 5400 then yes, buy it now before it is gone, we don't expect to see anymore of them. Whether or not the Olympus E-330's style of LiveView catches on or not is yet to be seen, only the buyers will answer that question.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 7:12 AM   #5

I agree with Steve that current market trends indicate the end of the "pro-sumer" P&S cameras. It seems the entry level DSLRs are what the manufacturers see as their replacments. Nikon's D50 with the common kit lens sells for less than the CP8400 did originally. Until and unless there is a sea change in the market for digital cameras, I don't expect to see Nikon offer a "replacement" for the CP8400. It seems to be the end of the line.

Personally, I love my CP8400. It is an excellent camera and fits my needs very well. I would prefer less noise at the higher ISOs, but with today's technology that requires larger sensors meaning larger cameras. Sony seems to be the only manufacturer that has tried to market such a camera, the DSC-R1.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote