Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:29 PM   #1

First i'd like to say hello to all the wonderful forum members out there. I'm hoping you guys have help me with a issue i'm having with my nikon 5700. Today it came back from nikon NY . I sent it in and had it repaired under the 5700 bad CCD recall. They replaced the CCD for free and cleaned it out. I got it back after 20 days.Now i have a new problem. The pop-up speedlight wont pop-up I can pull it up and it fires just fine. i disabled everything the manual said to turn off , if the flash isnt working. Can some one help me ? I really like my camera even with the auto focus lag but i dont think i can handle more down time. And i dont have the cash for a new camera
jason shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:20 PM   #2

Sounds like you've got two choices: Send it back to Nikon and have them fix it free (since it seems that they caused the problem) or live with it. Since you've already nixed the former, I guess you'll have to pull the flash up manually when you need it.

Compared to other things, that really doesn't sound too bad. If you plan to use the flash a lot, just leave it up and close it when you finish for the day. The rest of the time, leave it down.

It sounds odd to me that you can pull it up and have it stay up. I don't know whether the flash is always under tension -- like from a spring -- and then it pops up when a catch is released or whether a catch is released and then a solenoid is activated causing the flash to pop up. Either way it doesn't make sense. If there is a spring and it got detached, why does the flash stay up after you lift it up? If the action is electromechanical and the soleniod isn't getting activated, same thing -- why does it stay up after you lift it up?

If you use the fill-flash (always on) mode and push down on the shutter release a bit and the flash doesn't pop up, do you get a warning in the viewfinder that something is obstructing the flash? If not, they might have damaged more than just the mechanical trigger.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:49 PM   #3

thank you so much for the feedback. No no error message at all . in fact when i go to the

white balance > white balance presets menu and select measure the flash fires in the down position without poping up. If i leave it up , it works just fine. i can cut it off and on. Is this exspesive to fix ?
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:00 AM   #4

oh! i forgot to add , when i pull it up it stays up. almost like springs are there. and if i dont puch it all the way down and let it click back on the small metal hook , it will pop back up. so the pop up part is working . its just the hook that releases it dosnt seem to move.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:33 PM   #5

ITTTT WORKS !!

I left the battery and cf card out over night and put them back just now. and sure as i am happy it poped up when i toook a photo !! yeah!!!!!

It took forever to get back from nikon repair but boy was it worth it. this has always been my favorit cam so happy to have my baby back.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 5:24 PM   #6

gah not it wont open again . this is getting annoying
Old Apr 25, 2006, 7:07 PM   #7

this has been an extreamly odd event. I did the same . i took both the battery and the card out and waited since my last post. i then put them back in 4 mins ago. guess what ? the flash pop-ed up again and worked just fine. 3 times...... then it went back to not opening. i just dont get this. ..
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:04 PM   #8

Jason, sounds like you have a computer glitch. Whatever chip has the flash deployment job gets reset to a default, glitch-free state when you take away its power long enough; then, when you crank it up again, whatever fault in the control chip that is screwing things up reappears after a few uses.

How expensive is it to fix? I have no idea, but the general answer would be, "too expensive." Consumer Reports said that digital cameras on the whole are some of the most expensive items to fix when you compare the cost of repair to the cost of the camera.

You have a good case for getting free service from Nikon. Hopefully, you still have whatever documentation that you got from the repair facility to prove that you aren't just trying to shake them down. Only you know whether the problem is vexing enough to warrant the down-time that this would entail. If there's a local camera repair place you could take it to, they might well end up sending it off to an authorized Nikon center, but like some car dealerships, maybe you could hit them up for a "loaner.":G

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:16 PM   #9

Yeah you're right as usual. I'm happy I have people so much smarter than me in one place like this. I guess its not worth sending back since I can just rise it when it doesn't want to get up. I can look at it as having A.D.D that or just being lazy.:-)

And with the new ccd in it , it should give me many months of fun :?

Old Jun 2, 2006, 3:24 PM   #10

Hi Jason,

Can you please explain what bad CCD recall is. I'm a camera dummy and I'm wondering if my camera problem is a bad CCD. The dilemmaI have right now is that there are 2places where I should bring my camera in if it needs repair .. one will only take warranty repairs and the other would be for non-warranty. My 5700 is no longer under warranty but if it is a recall, it should be repaired free of charge.

I attached a sample of a bad photoin another thread.

Thanks.

Escapade5700 is offline   Reply With Quote