Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 18, 2003, 4:44 AM   #1

Default CP5700 internal and external flash

Hey all,
I want the built-in speed light and my SB-50DX to both fire together. This used to work and I'm pretty sure there is a malfunction in either the camera or the flash unit, but before I pursue the issue with Nikon, I wanted to make sure there wasn't someting I was missing.

Per the 5700 instruction manual (p. 138), I have set the Speedlight Options -> Speedlight Control to Int and Ext Active. Regardless of this setting, I get only the external flash firing. When I remove the 50DX, the built-in flash fires fine, so I know the unit is working.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Dave F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2003, 6:13 AM   #2
NHL

Is this possible?
Most cameras would have required the external flash to be off-mounted (ie through a sync cord or wirelessly). Going to the hot-shoe only won't buy you much except for bounce, and usually will disable the internal flash...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2003, 2:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Is this possible?
Most cameras would have required the external flash to be off-mounted (ie through a sync cord or wirelessly). Going to the hot-shoe only won't buy you much except for bounce, and usually will disable the internal flash...
Yeah, it's possible on the 5700. A very nice feature, actually. I used it for exactly as you stated....I would bounce the 50DX and use the built-in to light the front of the subject.

I also used it to extend the reach of the flash on night shots. I could turn the night into day.

The 50DX has built in sync capability when it's mounted to a dead shoe and it fires when another flash fires. This function still works, so I don't think whatever is wrong is a problem with the 50DX. I'm pretty sure it's something in the camera that's not sending the fire signal to the built-in flash.

I have some night shooting to do this weekend so I can't take the camera in until Monday. I just wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue and if I'm overlooking something simple.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 6:50 PM   #4

The external flash won't fire if the internal flash isn't popped up.

The internal flash won't fire or even pop up if one of the auxilliary lenses were selected in the menus but the external flash will still fire as long as the internal flash is popped up.

Neither flash will fire if you have selected flash off from the button on the lens barrel.

Best regards, Bob Nichol
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2003, 4:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nichol
The external flash won't fire if the internal flash isn't popped up.

The internal flash won't fire or even pop up if one of the auxilliary lenses were selected in the menus but the external flash will still fire as long as the internal flash is popped up.

Neither flash will fire if you have selected flash off from the button on the lens barrel.

Best regards, Bob Nichol
Thanks, Bob.

I thinkI got it figured out.
Apparently there is a limited set of circumstances under which this will work. The shutter speed and ISO setting have a definate effect on whether or not the internal flash fires with the external, however, the camera still seems to make the final decision whether or not it will fire the internal with the external flash based on ambient lighting. For instance, ISO set to 200, shutter at 1/250 and aperture set to 4.5, I can get both to flash in fairly low light. If I point the camera at a subject with better lighting, the internal flash will not fire will the external.

As a side note, the aperture setting seemed to have no effect on whether or not the internal flash fired.