Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 21, 2003, 12:46 AM   #1

Default Nikon 3MP -- 3100 vs. 3500 vs. SQ???

I am considering one of the three pocket-sized 3 mega pixel cameras from Nikon. Recognizing that the SQ is not yet out, can anyone tell me the most important differences between the 3100 and the 3500 (aside from the addition of the swivel and the lack of a viewfinder in the 3500)? Most importantly is there any discernable difference in picture quality?

Lastly, is the SQ going to have any major improvments that anyone is aware of -- again, particularly in image quality -- that would make it worth the wait?

Thanks.
srkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2003, 10:51 PM   #2

go here: http://www.nikonusa.com/coolpix/splash.html This site has all the CP's so you can easily compare features. Being the SQ is not out yet, I could not find much on it as far as image quality, but it definitely looks promising. It is the 1st nikon with an Auto Focus assist lamp . In addition it has an all metal body, 15 scence modes, and the 1st Nikon with a docking station that will recharge the battery when it is craddled.
michael
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 8:57 AM   #3

Thanks, Michael. When I go to the coolpix camera comparison page it only allows me to compare from a selection of 8 cameras, and neither the 3100 nor the 3500 (much less the SQ) are included on this list. Am I missing part of the list?

Otherwise, it sounds like it may be worth holding out a bit longer for the SQ. Does anyone know when this is likely to be available for the common consumer?

thanks,
steve
Old Apr 22, 2003, 12:49 PM   #4

Thats' strange you don't see all models. When I clicked on the link I had posted, it opens a box with the various models listed around the border. I saw the 3100, 3500, SQ, etc. In any case, you should be able to goto http://www.nikonusa.com and on the left you will see a few links for the 3100 and SQ models. They had a where to buy section for the various modes and when I choose SQ, this is what came back with "The Coolpix SQ will be available at beginning late Spring, 2003. Please check back for information about price and specific dealer locations". It's nearly late spring now so I bet it'll probably be out in a month tops. Fyi: I also went to Ritzcamera.com and they are already taking pre-orders for the camera at the price of $499, but they have a big disclamer stating the date of release is not known and the price is subject to change.

Michael
Old Apr 22, 2003, 1:01 PM   #5

Thanks, again. I am able to get the details now. Decisions, decisions! Would love to see the SQ but everyplace seems to tell me "Spring", which means anytime through June 21st technically I guess ... wish they'd just tell us exactly when! Oh well. Thanks, again though.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 7:23 PM   #6

No problem. I know what you mean about decisions. Took me a while to decide on a model and although I really like it, I wish I had a few other models as well. Good luck.