Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 2, 2006, 1:19 PM   #1

I have a 990 which was (gasp) dropped. It broke the battery door latches which I have now repaired.

It also did some damage to the lens. It would make a nasty grinding sound when zoomed out all the way, and would not focus properly. Feeling brave, I took it apart, and discovered that behind the viewfinder assembly there is an arm which controls a few things. I believe that the impact caused one of the controlers to come out of the arm. I put it back together, and it works!!

Sadly, it appears to have an issue with the iris. It wont close all the way when shutting off, and even with the flash some of the pictures are dark.

Any suggestions?? I feel brave enough to take it apart again since a new lens assembly is cost prohibitive.

I have already replaced the camera with an S4 (for my wife). We love the twist...

Ken_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2006, 12:35 PM   #2

UNBELIEVEABLE!!!

I think I fixed it!

When I did the repair to the original grinding sound, I don't think I lined up all the pins correctly in the control arm (located behind the viewfinder assembly on the lens assembly). Nikon Canada tech support agreed that it was cost prohibitive to repair /replace the lens assembly and suggested that if I had already been into the assembly I might want to have a second look.

Thanks also to John Flowers and Jim Betz for this excellent page on Nikon Coolpix 990 Lens issues http://www.flowersfamily.com/nikonrepair/

Thanks also to fellow Canuck KCan for the link to the CP990 Repair Manual and Parts List http://home.earthlink.net/~gyphtid1/coolpix990.pdf

To the guy on ebaY "selling" the link to the Repair Manual and Parts list....

:blah:

Sadly, there is still one issue...

There is a ground wire connected to the swivel arm assembly from one of the circuit boards behind the lens assy...well, at least there is supposed to be. Mind is now detached and despite several well intentioned soldering attempts, it is securely attached with Nikon handy dandy metallic tape which I presume is some type of insulator. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Ken

Ken_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 8:53 PM   #3

glad that you go through :-), did repair my 950 lens twice ( dropped )
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:47 PM   #4

Default Thx

thx for your advice on the finepix 990, it worked a treat, was going to throw it away after damaging it abroad, that was 4 years ago, thought i'd give it one more try and hay presto it worked , just realined the view finder and the zoom (3times) and it woks fine - no more clicking!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks again
stfs
stufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:49 PM   #5

sorry i ment coolpix 990 Dohhhh!
too happy!!!!!!
stufus is offline   Reply With Quote