Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 8, 2006, 12:36 AM   #1

Is there a way in the camera settings to change the aspect ratio? I developed some pictures at Costco and it cropped some of the picture out. If not in the camera, can you change it in adobe photoshop? I am sure it is simple but I can't figure it out. I think the ratio he told me to use is 2.3 aspect ratio....whatever that means.
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2006, 4:50 PM   #2
Administrator

Depends on the model - you did not specify which one you have. If it does have it, just press the resolution button or select from the menu the "3:2" setting. Not all Coolpix cameras have it and you can't just convert photos taken in 4:3 aspect ratio over to 3:2 without cropping some off the top and bottom. The 3:2 aspect is used for printing 4x6" size prints without cropping. If you plan on printing more 4x6 prints then just make sure to leave extra cropping "dead space" in the top and bottom of your pictures unless you have the 3:2 option.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 7:11 PM   #3

I have a Nikon D50...I think I put this in the wrong topic.Do you know if the D50 has this setting?
Old May 8, 2006, 11:41 PM   #4

I don't know where the problem is here. The D-50 shoots in 3:2 aspect all the time. That should be getting you 4x6 or 8x10 prints without cropping.

Did you crop the photos you sent for printing or leave the dimensions just as they came from the camera? If you cropped them yourself without paying attention to the final aspect ratio, then you certainly could have lost some of your images to store cropping.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 10:42 AM   #5

Thanks for your help, I think I might have cropped some of the pics I sent!