Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 24, 2003, 11:22 PM   #1

Default Nikon 3100 and Windows 98 (not 98SE)

Will this camera and it's software work well with a computer running Windows98 (not Windows 98SE) and usb 1.1 ?
Hope this isn't too dumb a question but I have not been able to get better answeres than it "should work" as well as "no it won't work" from different people at the same big box stores.
Thanks Walt
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2003, 7:47 AM   #2

No question is dumb. I work with computers though and I'd be highly surprised if it didn't work. Unless the manufacturer states, compatiblity is Win 98SE, then when they say Windows 98 they are usually referring to both. Besides that though, only reason you need to connect it to your computer is to get the images off the flash card so worse case, you buy an inexpensive reader for the card that is compatible with 98. Or of course, buy the camera at a local store with a good return policy and try it for yourself, but in my honest opinion I think you'll be just fine.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 4:26 PM   #3

Default Remaining question on the Nikon View software

Thanks for the card reader info.
That will solve part one of this quest.
The remaining concern whether I will be able to use the Nikon View 6 editing software on a W98 machine, instead of one running
98SE or higher.
Thanks again for your kind help (and patience)
Walt
Old Apr 25, 2003, 5:01 PM   #4

It might work .... maybe :? , but the details I found on it specifically stated Windows 98 Second Edition which could mean it literally won't work on 98 or it could mean they haven't certified it with 98 in which case they would not claim compatibility with it. It's hard to say, the only way you would be able to tell for sure would be to install it. I have a spare computer sitting around my house which I know has a flavor of 98. If it is not second edition, I'll install it on the PC and let you know within a few days.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 5:12 PM   #5

98SE improved upon the USB capability of 98. This is most likely where a problem could pop up. A card reader might be met with the same limitations on the original 98.

If you needed to go with a newer OS, you should be able to buy a copy of windows 98SE on ebay for a relatively low amount of money.

Of course, with the cost of computers being what they are today, you might think about looking into a new computer. There are many great deals from companies like Dell on new systems.
mattg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 1:03 PM   #6

Ok, I loaded Nikon View 6.01 on my spare PC which is running the original release of Windows 98. I was not able to test all features as this computer does not have Internet access; all in all the program seemed to work fine. I was able to view the pictures and use Nikon Editor to rotate picutes, correct red eye, convert pictures to sepia or black and white, etc. The only 2 major features I was not able to test was send pictures via email and post to NikonNet. I did find one bug where I was not able to view my pictures in the Slide show presentation that Nikon View provides, but it did not crash the program.

I also did a quick search for Compact flash readers and some did state 98SE or higher, but I also found some that worked on 98. You'll just need to make sure you look at compatibility before buying.

To Matt's point about upgrading your OS and or computer, you may want to consider that as you may run into some limitations. If your 98 comptuer is like my spare, it probably is only a 200 to 300 MHz computer with under 64MB ram. Yes, it works, but it is on the slow side (not as bad as I thought it would be though). However, if your computer is that slow and you decide to get a more robust program such as Photoshop Elements, if it will even run, you would not be pleased with the performance at all.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 10:49 PM   #7

If you are interested in a new PC, this is something you can find..

Go to http://www.hotdealsclub.com and check Sunday's listings. They have a 2.66Ghz Dell PC for $415 after $200 MIR. Unbelievable price.

Upgrade the Ram to 512 by buying a stick from newegg.com or something.
mattg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 11:39 PM   #8

Default Thanks Again

Hello,
Just got back to the net after a weekend break.
I can't thank you all enough for your efforts.
Actually loading and testing the software, wow!
You were right about my old computer, it's a 333/64
Okay then resolved, it's the camera first and a
"modern"computer later on.
Very Grateful,
Walt