Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 25, 2003, 10:29 AM   #1

Default AF Assist

The lack of AF Assist on Nikon Coolpix cameras are a topic of critism.

Can someone explain the benefits of having this? Is it needed for a novice to take good low light pictures? Is there something that nikon has in their cameras that overcome the need for this?
mattg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2003, 11:11 AM   #2

Default Re: AF Assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg

Can someone explain the benefits of having this? Is it needed for a novice to take good low light pictures? Is there something that nikon has in their cameras that overcome the need for this?
I believe they compensate by including scene modes in the entry-level cameras. I'll be getting my first Nikon on Monday. I'll let you know how my low-light pictures come out. I"m a novice, too...
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 11:39 AM   #3

The benefit it is that you can focus on any light situation by having the AF assist light, but also some times even if you have the feature in your camera you want to turn off this feauture because in low light situation with a subject that can be disturbed with the light it is not an option, so it has advantages and disadvantages the use of the light for focusing. I used to have a nikon 995 and a nikon 5700 and with both I was able to take pictures in low light (light produced by a candle), with the autofocus on short distances (probably 2 to 6 ft) without a problem and using a tripod. In a situation of taking a exterior picture in a low light situation, almost always you find something to set your autofocus, and if not, you can use the manual focus of the camera, so always you will find some way to take your picture. If you are a novice, don't worry about all the features of the camera, you need to decide for a camera you like, and start taking pictures, then you will find wich kind of pictures you like the most to take, and then you will be ready to buy a professional camera with all the features you need. So I don't think a novice should be worried about this, only if you are a 100% sure you want to take only a low light pictures, and in that case I should recommend to you that you better read a lot about taking pictures in low light situation to help you to find the camera that it is the best for you, because it is not the same to take pictures of an object that moves from one that it does not.
jcarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 12:12 PM   #4

Is this some kind of light similar to a flash that lights up the scene prior to taking the picture?
Old Apr 25, 2003, 12:14 PM   #5

Default Re: AF Assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg

I believe they compensate by including scene modes in the entry-level cameras. I'll be getting my first Nikon on Monday. I'll let you know how my low-light pictures come out. I"m a novice, too...

Please do...
Old Apr 25, 2003, 5:12 PM   #6

Just as an FYI, Nikon is coming out with a new camera called Coolpix SQ which they will release sometime this spring. It has an AF assist lamp.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 10:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdparker
Just as an FYI, Nikon is coming out with a new camera called Coolpix SQ which they will release sometime this spring. It has an AF assist lamp.

Hmmm. This kind of throws a wrench into the mix. I assumed before that Nikon just simply did not think their cameras needed the AF Assist because of the shooting modes, etc. Now that I see them adding it, it makes me wonder.

If I was going to buy a camera, it would be before the end of June - new baby coming, and I am worried that my current camera will screw up the indoor images.

My general picture situations indoors are not in near darkness... the light I am talking about is my normal indoor light at night - so all the light is artificial. Not as bright as an office situation though. The current camera I have doesn't even do well with the flash in this situation.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 11:49 PM   #8

The CoolPix SQ will have an AF assist lamp, but it's also more expensive.

If you're talking indoor lights, then I don't think you'll have much trouble using the scene modes.

I took two CF cards to Best Buy and tried the Nikon 2100 and 3100 on one card, and the Canon A70 on the other card. I preferred the color and sharpness of the pictures taken with the Nikon.

Let me tell you that I really like Canon cameras. I have the PowerShot A10 and it takes great pictures for a 1.3 megapixel camera. I was very close to getting the A70, trust me, but it had too many manual controls and I'm just a beginner. Perhaps once I get more experienced I'll get a camera with more manual controls.
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote