Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 23, 2006, 7:07 PM   #1

The Speedlite flash for my Nikon Coolpix 995 works perfectly in Auto mode, but will not fire in Manual mode. This includes Programmed, Aperture-Priority, Shutter-Priority and Full-Manual modes. If I'm in Programmed Mode, for example, and lock focus/exposure, the red light blinks advising me to release the Speedlight because ambient light is insufficient. I then release the Speedlite, but it won't fire when I press the button to take the photo. Understandably, the photo is very dark.

The only way I can take a photo in any of the Manual modes when the camera calls for the Speedlite to be released, is to disregard the blinking red light and not release the Speedlite. When I lock focus/exposure, the image in the monitor brightens considerably. I then take the photo and it usually turns out OK.

When I'm in Manual mode, the flash won't fire even if I use the force flash feature. The monitor and LCD window will both show the lightening bolt symbol above the flash-off symbol (lightening bolt inside a circle). I guess the flash-off symbol prevails because the Speedlite just won't fire. I've checked all of the menus to make sure that the flash has not been disabled. I've tried everything I can think of to get the Speedlite to fire, but no luck. It does work perfectly in Auto mode.

Can anyone explain to me why the Speedlite won't fire in Manual mode?

And can anyone explain how the camera creates a reasonably well-exposed photo when I'm in Manual mode and just disregard the flash by not releasing it at all?

Thanks!

The Speedlite flash for my Nikon Coolpix 995 works perfectly in Auto mode, but will not fire in Manual mode. This includes Programmed, Aperture-Priority, Shutter-Priority and Full-Manual modes. If I'm in Programmed Mode, for example, and lock focus/exposure, the red light blinks advising me to release the Speedlight because ambient light is insufficient. I then release the Speedlite, but it won't fire when I press the button to take the photo. Understandably, the photo is very dark.

The only way I can take a photo in any of the Manual modes when the camera calls for the Speedlite to be released, is to disregard the blinking red light and not release the Speedlite. When I lock focus/exposure, the image in the monitor brightens considerably. I then take the photo and it usually turns out OK.

When I'm in Manual mode, the flash won't fire even if I use the force flash feature. The monitor and LCD window will both show the lightening bolt symbol above the flash-off symbol (lightening bolt inside a circle). I guess the flash-off symbol prevails because the Speedlight just won't fire. I've checked all of the menus to make sure that the flash has not been disabled. I've tried everything I can think of to get the Speedlite to fire, but no luck. It does work perfectly in Auto mode.

Can anyone explain to me why the Speedlite won't fire in Manual mode?

And can anyone explain how the camera creates a reasonably well-exposed photo when I'm in Manual mode and just disregard the flash by not releasing it at all?

Thanks!

Prender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2006, 8:17 PM   #2
Administrator

Chances are, you've just got something set wrong if the flash isn't firing except in Auto Mode. For example, you may have continuous drive mode selected, or BSS (Best Shot Selector) turned on, disabling the flash (the flash can't recycle fast enough to use it in these modes, so the camera disables the use of flash).

Try resetting the camera back to factory defaults as a first step. You'll find a RESET ALL menu choice on the second page of your record menus.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 5:00 PM   #3

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the tip. I reset all of the menus to factory settings and that fixed the problem. Now my Speedlite fires in Manual mode!
Prender is offline   Reply With Quote