Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 11, 2006, 1:25 PM   #11

Low and behold, I pick up my Nikon Coolpix 5700 and there it is, Horizontal lines just like the others. I have sent something to Nikon to see if it deals with the recall they have put out. I'm wondering, since I bought my camera in the States whether Nikon Canada will fix this recall or would I have to send it down to the US? Either way it does not matter much, I'm going there in July. It just would get done a little quicker if I could send it to Canada.

Nikon USA has already sent something to me asking me to try and reset the camera which I had already done.

My question is this, has anyone with the white horizontal line problem got their camera fixed by Nikon yet? And if so, was it the Service Advisory that they are talking about?
2wideglide4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 3:40 AM   #12

Owl and 2wide, I'm glad you ran into this thread.

2wide, yes, I got my camera back. And yes it was the advisory. They didn't really say that it was when I dropped it off. They said they will take a look at it and will call me if it's not.I dropped it off on June 6th and told them that I need it by Monday, June 12th (we leave for holidays tomorrow). They said it will take 4 weeks but will put a rush on it if it is the CCD problem. I got a callon June 9thand my camera wasfixed! I almost kissed the clerk who put a rush on it! LOL

The camera is as good as new. They replaced the CCD andeven cleaned it. Huge brownie point for Nikon! I did ask the clerk if this problem will recurr after a certain amount of use.As expected,I didn't get a yes or no response.

About the warranty, incidentally,I asked themif theyhonourUS warranty.I am planning to buy asmallercamera and was thinking ofgetting it in the US. I'mlooking at Nikon S6.They said no. SoI guess you'll have to take yours tothe USfor repair. :sad:

Just curious, Owl and 2wide, when did you buy your cameras? I bought mine in Nov 2003. I wonder if thisCCD problem is a timing issue, meaning, it crashes after a certain amount of use and if we bought them around the same time, we would have takenalmost the same amount of shots.

On another note, I ordered the 5700 book by Dennis and shouldbe getting it next week.I'm actually looking forward to learning more about this camera.

Good luck to you both!

Escapade5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:20 PM   #13

I wrote to Nikon Canada and they said that they will honour the service advisory because Nikon put this out as an international advisory. So, they tell me I can send it to Ontario for this repair. Will wonders ever cease.
2wideglide4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 2:14 PM   #14

Had the EXACT same problem. My 5700 is 2+ years old. Sent the camera with a letter to Nikon on June 14th. They recieved it on June 16th. When I called today to check on the status of repair, they told meit has been repaired at no cost and I was given a UPS tracking number. The tracking number indicated that my camera left the UPS office for delivery this morning. I got the camera yesterday and it works GREAT! They replaced the CCD AND did few other adjustments (White balance) and cleaning. Less that a week for the whole process? Not too shabby! BTW: Ritz Camera's quick diagnosis indicated an excess of $200 for repairs. I'm very happy with Nikon!
princeali123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:40 AM   #15

According to the invoice, I purchase my CP5700 8/7/2004. The S/N is 3180115.
owlpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:13 PM   #16

Interesting.. I bought my CP5700 in early 2004, and it's just come up with this problem now! I vaguely remembered seeing this topic some months ago, when I was checking CP5700 related topics here, so this is the first place where I came..

I bought my CP5700 through an Irish online shop, but I'll be contacting them and Nikon directly, and hopefully I can have my camera fixed for free as well.. I just hope it won't take ages to get it back as I can't afford to buy another one, yet I really need a camera all the time, for articles and stuff :sad:
Stello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 9:05 AM   #17

Escapade5700 wrote:
Quote:
Hello everyone. My first post.

I bought a Nikon 5700 2 years ago and it has been working fine until this weekend. I tried to take a few photos of my daughter and all the pictures are coming out with horizontal lines on them (see sample image attached). I don't know much about cameras and I haven't tried any of the complicated functionalities that came with this. I don't even know why i bought such a complicated piece of equipment. Anyway, Ijustwant to see if this is somethingI could maybe adjust myself orif I should take the camerain for repair.

Thanks. I'd appreciatethe feedbacks.

vmmacwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:18 AM   #18

Newbie:?.......First post!

I also have a Coolpix 5700 with a blank view finder (no image at all) could this be the ccd?

I can view pic from memory and see the setup menu but nothing thru the lens.

Could this be the same problem the other posters are having?

hootal!
hootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 1:02 PM   #19
Administrator

Sounds like the dead Sony CCD problem to me, contact your area's Nikon service and see if they'll fix it for free. They do here in the U.S.

http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images...y/coolpix.html

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:30 PM   #20

I have the same problem with my Nikon 5700. Thanks to the information here from everyone, I'll be sending this back to Nikon. I'll keep everyone posted on my experience. Thanks again!
sully150 is offline   Reply With Quote