Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 2, 2006, 2:57 PM   #1

Hello everyone. My first post.

I bought a Nikon 5700 2 years ago and it has been working fine until this weekend. I tried to take a few photos of my daughter and all the pictures are coming out with horizontal lines on them (see sample image attached). I don't know much about cameras and I haven't tried any of the complicated functionalities that came with this. I don't even know why i bought such a complicated piece of equipment. Anyway, Ijustwant to see if this is somethingI could maybe adjust myself orif I should take the camerain for repair.

Thanks. I'd appreciatethe feedbacks.

Attached Images

Escapade5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2006, 3:17 PM   #2
Administrator

Definitely needs a trip to the repair shop, sorry. It could be related to the Sony CCD imager problem that many makers including Nikon have been facing.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 3:36 PM   #3

Thanks Steve. Iactually just replied to the CCD recall that Jason posted and was wondering if that's the problem withmy camera. I guess I will have to get if fixed. I just hope they won't charge me for it if it is the CCD problem.

Old Jun 2, 2006, 4:02 PM   #4

looks like your in luck. that screen looks like some of the defective ccd shots i saw. I posted the link to the recall in the first tread you posted too. cheers mate and good luck!
jason shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 4:37 PM   #5

Thanks so much Jason. And thanks for the link you posted on your thread. I justviistedNikon Canada websiteand found the instructions on how to send the camera for repair.

I'm gladI stumbled upon this forum. I called the repair shopsearlier and explained the problembut none of themmentioned anything about the recall.SomehowIfelt thatI'm about to get ripped off that's whyI decided to scour the internet.In fact, one of the shops told me that it is common for digital cameras to break down after 2 years. I really don't want to spend more money on something I have already spent too muchon.

Old Jun 5, 2006, 3:04 PM   #6

i'm happy you didnt get suckered

nikon should repair this for free for you. then you can get back to taking wonderful pictures with your baby
jason shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:41 PM   #7

Yeah,it would have costs a few hundred dollars at the repair shop since the shop I was going to take it to does not do warranty repairs. The store where I bought the camera from told me to contact them. That's a bad customer service in my book. I guess I won't be buying anything from them in the future.

This gives me another problem. We leave for vacation in a few days and I have no camera to use. I'm now looking atbuying a compact digital to use in the mean time. I have been reading a few threads and reviews on Canon SD630 and Nikon S6. Idon't know if I should sell the 5700.I find the featurestoo overwhelming.Maybe the camera is not made for awoman'sbrain, haha.Do you know if thereis a Nikon coolpix 5700 book for dummies that I can get? The manual that goes with the camera doesn't do much for me

Once again, thank you so much.

Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:20 AM   #8
Administrator

I highly recommend Dennis' camera books, they're comprehensive yet easy to follow and not that expensive.

http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstor..._nikon5700.htm
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:29 PM   #9

Thanks Steve. I will definitely check that out.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:39 AM   #10

HolyCow...Me too! My CP5700 just developed the same problem as your's. In strong, outdoor lighting the image has horizontal lines over an otherwise sharp image. As the lighting gets weaker the images becomes blurry with strong astigmatism. One day it was fine and the next, yucky.

This is the first place I came to research the problem and hit on ur post immediately...talk about luck.

Good to see that Nikon has a service advisory for our problem and is offering to fix it for free.

Thanks for your post.

Bill in Gulf Breeze, FL
owlpoop is offline   Reply With Quote