Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 4, 2003, 12:11 AM   #1

Default Adding lenses to the 4500

On ebay, I can get a wide angle lens and a telephoto (.5x and 2x) for half the price of just the telephoto... is it going to be a crappy lens that doesn't work, or are all lenses basically created equally? It comes with the needed adapter ring.

Thanks,

Jeremy
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2003, 12:45 AM   #2

Default Re: Adding lenses to the 4500

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplanenut
On ebay, I can get a wide angle lens and a telephoto (.5x and 2x) for half the price of just the telephoto... is it going to be a crappy lens that doesn't work, or are all lenses basically created equally? It comes with the needed adapter ring.
You get what you paid for. Nikon's TC-E2 is one of the best for the 950/990/995/4500 and 5000. In general, even a not so good 2X performs well. The 0.5X wide angle is another story. Cheap ones usually produce too much barrel distortion, vignette badly, flare frequently, and have very poor corner image quality. Some 0.5X and wider converters are actually not wide, but "semi-fisheye," which means the lens does not correct distortion making it like a fisheye lens (but without the coverage - 180+ degree - of a fisheye lens). If budget is not a concern, avoid these cheap lenses. If you are a newbie and just need something for fun, they will certainly fit your curiosity for a short period of time.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2003, 2:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Budget, for me, is a concern. I am more interested in the 2x, just so I can get those long distance shots when they come, especially for scenery... the wide angle just came in the package, as well... should I go for a 2x alone that is around $50, assuming it might be better? I'm not sure when I'd really need a .5x as opposed to a 2x... my SLR (film) had a 28-280 lens and I was happy with that.

Jeremy
Old May 4, 2003, 4:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplanenut
Thanks for the reply. Budget, for me, is a concern. I am more interested in the 2x, just so I can get those long distance shots when they come, especially for scenery... the wide angle just came in the package, as well... should I go for a 2x alone that is around $50, assuming it might be better?
Airplanenut,

If your major interest is scenic and landscape, a good wide angle converter may be a better choice. Since you have a 28-280 zoom, if you use the 28-35mm range more often, then it would be better to have a wide angle. On the other hand, if you zoom all the way in to use the 200-280mm range frequently, a 2X is good for you. Thus, it is your personal choice.

CK
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2003, 5:21 PM   #5

I'm not sure what I've used... it really depended on the cicrumstances. For instance, when I was at the Grand Canyon at Sunrise, I got a great frame with no zoom, but used around 60mm when hiking to get a better view. When I was in Spain, I used lots of zoom to get the detail from the side of a building... Ugggh :roll: