Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:41 PM   #1

I have a coolpix 990 and when I turn the power on I hear a clicking sound. The sound continues for about 4 seconds and then has a slight pause and then continues for 4 more seconds and does that 3 times. It sounds like it is trying to focus.The camera won't focus is another reason I believe it to be the focus mechanism. Has anyone has this problem and if so, how can it be fixed and for what cost?

Thanks

Pati0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:46 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the Forums.

It sounds like you're just hearing the focus mechanism working with continuous focus set (it tends to be a bit loud, and clicking and grinding noises are a common complaint). I remember complaining about it when I first got a Nikon 990. ;-)

The first thing I'd probably do is reset everything back to factory defaults, just in case a setting conflict is causing you grief.

If you go to M mode and press the Menu button, the second screen will have a RESET ALL menu choice to reset everything back to factory defaults.

See what that does first.

Then, if you want to turn off the continuous focus (I think it may default that way), you'll find some Focus Options on the same menu page. One of the Autofocus modes is Continuous versus Single AF. If you switch it to Single, it will only attempt to focus when you half press the shutter button (versus trying to focus continously).

Chances are, it's just a settings problem. But, if it won't focus correctly in good light (try it outside in daylight) after you reset everything back to defaults, then it would probably be easier to find another 990 on the used market versus trying to fix it.

Good Luck.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 5:47 PM   #3

Thanks for the help. It appears to be something more serious then that however. In playing around with it I found that the clicking starts again when I push the zoom button. Oh well, I guess I will need to start over.

Have a good day.

Old Jun 13, 2006, 5:56 PM   #4
Administrator

If it's a problem in the lens mechanism (most often from impact damage), it may be more trouble than it's worth to have it repaired. If you're good with tiny parts and gears, I guess you could always attempt it.

These cameras typically sell for around $150 on the used market now. So, it's probably less expensive to buy another one versus sending to Nikon for repair.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 6:58 PM   #5

I think I will open it up and take a look just for fun, not much to loose at this point. Your input has been helpful.

Old Jun 14, 2006, 5:40 AM   #6

Sounds similar to a problem I had. Have a look at this thread - http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=21

I just completed a battery door repair and lens repair on my 990. There are a couple of links there for the 990 Service Manual and Parts List as well as to a site which gives some pics for lens disassembly. The only real tricky part is lining up the focus arm and the three pins which slide in it.

Things I did wrong the first time...to open the lens side, remove the coolpix logo which is just stuck on - there are two screws underneath. All the little screws inside the assembly look the same but are not. The service manual identifies which are which, but I just took a peice of tape and put it upside down on my desk. I took the screws off one by one and stuck them to the tape. I reassembled in the opposite order, and that way I didnt make the same mistake twice with the screws getting mixed up! Finally DON'T TOUCH THE FLASH CAPACITOR!!!! It holds quite a charge and gives quite a shock which will likely make you drop your camera (like I did)!!

Hope it helps!

Ken

Ken_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:23 AM   #7
Administrator

Reminds me of the good old days in myhigh school electronics lab where we used to charge upa good sized capacitor and then toss it across the room and see who was dumb enough to catch it or pick it up - zap! :shock:
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:26 PM   #8

Thank you, I will use this information. I will let you know if I accually pull it off. And thanks for the heads up on the capacitor, don't need that kind of a surprize.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:26 PM   #9

Reminds me of the good old days in myhigh school electronics lab where we used to charge upa good sized capacitor and then toss it across the room and see who was dumb enough to catch it or pick it up - zap! :shock:

I guess that would make me the dumb one...OUCH!!! :-)

Ken_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:06 PM   #10

so, I have the same exact problem (dropped the camera) and I already disassembled it once but put it back together after zapping myself with the capacitor. I was too chicken after that to keep going but I'm going to give it another shot. How do I safely discharge the capacitor without damaging the board?
opeth13 is offline   Reply With Quote