Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:33 PM   #1

As the camera is no longer sold and has a dedicated (?) battery, should I be concerned about getting them in the future ? I only have one and wonder if this is unique to the 8800 and possibly hard tofind in the future ? Is there a shelf life on a battery that has never been charged in the event I need to "stock up" ?

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2006, 2:47 AM   #2

I think this battery is okay for the 8400, also. This is a good, high-capacity battery. It wouldn't surprise me if Nikon comes out with newer models that take the same battery.

According to Battery University, the best way to store Li-ion batteries is to charge them to about 40% capacity and put them in the fridge -- not the freezer. Kept in this way, at 0 degrees centigrade, the battery is still 98% after a year.

The next time you get a low battery warning, charge it up and time how long it takes before the charger indicates full charge, then full charge a new one and use it until you get the low battery warning and charge it for 40% of that time -- if you want to go the storage route. I'm sure there are more accurate ways of measurement, but I'm not that fussy about most things.

Of course, there's always the MB-CP11 battery pack. This lets you use six AA sized batteries of whatever type you want to run the camera. It's a bit pricey, but it also offers a second shutter release button for vertical shooting and, I think, a few other gewgaws as well. Might be able to get it used on ebay for a decent price.

With all these options, I think that the camera will be on the scrap heap before the power runs out.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 12:09 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice, Grant.I appreciate your time. Irecently heard thatI shouldn't be storing alkalines in the freezer, which I have alwaysdone, and now you mention the same for the Coolpix battery. I wonder what the reasoning is...but I have moved my stockpile !

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote