Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 10, 2003, 1:58 PM   #1

Default Write Speed of Nikon 4300?

I need to buy a new 256MB CF card for my Nikon 4300. I have a Mr. Flash 128MB card that I had for an older camera, but I think it is only a 4X card as the one that came with the 4300 blows it away at 8X.

I would like to know the write speed of the 4300 so I know att what point I am wasting my money by paying for a faster card.

What brand is best for this camera as well?

Brands like SimpleTech, Kingston, and Lexar all have $20 rebates and are generally the same price ($60-$65). SimpleTech says (on the Dell.com website) that their writes to 3Mbps which is 20X. The Lexar for this price range ($65) is 12X.. so it is slower (supposedly) than the cheaper SimpleTech.

Which one should I get???
mattg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2003, 7:32 PM   #2

my question to you is- is this the last digicam you will buy or will you be leading to a higher performanc on later? if so that might affect how you look at the cf cards. also check warranties too'
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2003, 7:54 PM   #3

To Mattg. I use a 512meg card -lexar 12x and have used a 24x lexar in my 4300. I have to tell you that I cant tell any speed gain with the 24x over the 12. I can tell with the 12x over an 8x. But after that i just dont see it. It might be just me!! but i cant tell any thing. Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2003, 8:28 PM   #4

no you probably hit the upper limit of the xfr bus for that camera. remember ther are to points of xfr. in camera and if you choose out of camera. r/w speeds are different for cards writes being the slower due to energy use vs simple reads.
Old May 10, 2003, 8:49 PM   #5

It will probably be my last for at least a couple years. Of course, I thought that my last would be too, and it didn't quite make it 2 years. It was a fixed focus Kodak DX3500.

I guess Nikon reccomends Lexar .. or so I am told. Of course they do send a Lexar with the camera.

Thanks for the info on the 12x vs 24x Lexar card. I'll probably go with the 12X. If I ever get another camera, the faster CF cards will be cheaper then.
Old May 10, 2003, 8:59 PM   #6

To sjms. Thank you!! I didnt know the camera had a limit on the bus. I didnt even think of it. Thanks for teaching me. Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2003, 9:22 PM   #7

your welcome tealblue.

now as far as the nikon recommends a certain brand. i'll go along with lexar but not due to nikon recommendations. the fact that a certain brand card is included in the package is actually marketing too. that spot is sold to companies who are willing to comarket and pay for the spot in there. product recognition is great.

now i use lexar and delkin because they back their products and have a good support system in place. there are less expensive brands but but less responsive too.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 8:52 AM   #8

Default Nikon 4300 vs 885 write speed

I have a Nikon 885 (with a Viking 128 card; no speed indication; #A00696571) which I like, but have been frustrated by a few things involving speed:

a) It takes too long to get ready for a new shot after taking a picture (more than 15 seconds)

b) It takes too long too get ready to shoot upon startup (about 10 seconds)

I am considering a 4300 after seeing someone using one recently and getting some comments from him about about the 4300 vs earlier models. He said that the 4300 has a better flash (more light), is able to read/write faster than the 885 (according to him, the 885 didn't have the capability of taking advantage of card speeds, while the 4300 does), and that he can take pictures (we were indoors) about 1 second after the previous shot.

Any comments, advice, feedback, corrections/additions?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 9:38 AM   #9

Default Re: Nikon 4300 vs 885 write speed

I would assume that they did make improvements to the write speed etc. It has never been a problem for me (4300) using a Lexar 12X card. They give you an 8X with the camera.

It is a lot less than 15 seconds I can tell you that. I'm not sure about startup. You still have some wait - maybe 5-7 seconds? I'm not sure... the camera is not with me.

I think the flash is bright, but my previous camera was a DX3500, and that flash was pathetic.